Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Yuranga Weerakkody had no recorded disclosures.View Yuranga Weerakkody's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised David Luong had no recorded disclosures.View David Luong's current disclosures
Chlamydia pneumonia is a form of atypical pneumonia.
It is caused by the organism Chlamydophila pneumoniae (a species of Chlamydophila) which is an obligate intracellular bacterium that infects humans.
Non-specific with overlap of features with pneumonias from other organisms. Can have a wide spectrum of findings inclusive of
- bronchovascular bundle thickening
- pleural effusion
- lymphadenopathy: uncommon
- reticular or linear opacities
- airway dilatation
- pulmonary emphysema
Many have bilateral lung involvement.
- 1. Nambu A, Saito A, Araki T, Ozawa K, Hiejima Y, Akao M, Ohki Z, Yamaguchi H. Chlamydia pneumoniae: comparison with findings of Mycoplasma pneumoniae and Streptococcus pneumoniae at thin-section CT. Radiology. 238 (1): 330-8. doi:10.1148/radiol.2381040088 - Pubmed
- 2. Witte L, Droemann D, Dalhoff K, Rupp J. Chlamydia pneumoniae is frequently detected in the blood after acute lung infection. The European respiratory journal. 37 (3): 712-4. doi:10.1183/09031936.00102310 - Pubmed
- 3. McConnell CT, Plouffe JF, File TM, Mueller CF, Wong KH, Skelton SK, Marston BJ, Breiman RF. Radiographic appearance of Chlamydia pneumoniae (TWAR strain) respiratory infections. CBPIS Study Group. Community-based Pneumonia Incidence Study. Radiology. 192 (3): 819-24. doi:10.1148/radiology.192.3.8058954 - Pubmed
- 4. Radkowski MA, Kranzler JK, Beem MO, Tipple MA. Chlamydia pneumonia in infants: radiography in 125 cases. AJR. American journal of roentgenology. 137 (4): 703-6. doi:10.2214/ajr.137.4.703 - Pubmed
- 5. Koinuma G, Shinjoh M, Kageyama T, Nakazawa M, Kamimaki I. Round Pneumonia Due to Chlamydia Pneumoniae in a Child. Radiology Case Reports. 2019;14(4):436-8. doi:10.1016/j.radcr.2019.01.010 - Pubmed