Chromophobe renal cell carcinoma
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Matt A. Morgan had no recorded disclosures.View Matt A. Morgan's current disclosures
Chromophobe renal cell carcinoma is one of the less common subtypes of renal cell carcinoma (RCC).
This is the least common major subtype of RCC, occurring 5% of the time 1. Similar incidence in men and women. There is an association with Birt-Hogg-Dubé syndrome 4.
This type of RCC arises from intercalated cells of collecting ducts 1,2. The designation "chromophobe" arises because the tumor cells are less translucent than clear cell renal cell carcinomas during staining for histology 1. They have a similar origin to oncocytomas 3.
- presents similarly to other renal cell masses, with an isoechoic/hypoechoic masslike contour abnormality and flow on color Doppler imaging
- relatively homogeneous contrast enhancement (less than the renal cortex).
- isointense to kidney / maybe T2 hypointense
- relatively homogeneous contrast enhancement
- necrosis not common
- 1. Vinay Kumar, Abul K. Abbas, Jon C. Aster. Robbins Basic Pathology. (2017) ISBN: 9780323353175 - Google Books
- 2. Prasad S, Humphrey P, Catena J et al. Common and Uncommon Histologic Subtypes of Renal Cell Carcinoma: Imaging Spectrum with Pathologic Correlation. Radiographics. 2006;26(6):1795-806; discussion 1806. doi:10.1148/rg.266065010 - Pubmed
- 3. Lopes Vendrami C, Parada Villavicencio C, DeJulio T et al. Differentiation of Solid Renal Tumors with Multiparametric MR Imaging. Radiographics. 2017;37(7):2026-42. doi:10.1148/rg.2017170039 - Pubmed
- 4. Vera-Badillo F, Conde E, Duran I. Chromophobe Renal Cell Carcinoma: A Review of an Uncommon Entity. Int J Urol. 2012;19(10):894-900. doi:10.1111/j.1442-2042.2012.03079.x - Pubmed
- 5. Marko J, Craig R, Nguyen A, Udager A, Wolfman D. Chromophobe Renal Cell Carcinoma with Radiologic-Pathologic Correlation. Radiographics. 2021;41(5):1408-19. doi:10.1148/rg.2021200206 - Pubmed
- 6. Raman S, Johnson P, Allaf M, Netto G, Fishman E. Chromophobe Renal Cell Carcinoma: Multiphase MDCT Enhancement Patterns and Morphologic Features. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2013;201(6):1268-76. doi:10.2214/ajr.13.10813 - Pubmed