Coeliac artery aneurysm
Coeliac artery aneurysms are a form of visceral artery aneurysm and account for around 4% of such cases (fourth most common visceral arterial aneurysm).
An association with non-visceral arterial aneurysms is considered frequent 2.
While some patients may have symptoms, they are usually asymptomatic and are incidentally discovered.
Treatment and prognosis
The reported risk of rupture varies, but ranges around 10-20% 2 . Some studies report an operative mortality rate associated with a ruptured coeliac artery aneurysm at around 40% compared with only 5% for a non-ruptured aneurysm.
History and etymology
These aneurysms are thought to have been first described by the italian physician Giovanni Maria Lancisi (1654-1720), in a posthumously published book "De Motu Cordis et Aneurysmatibus" (1728) 7,8.
- 1. McMullan DM, McBride M, Livesay JJ et-al. Celiac artery aneurysm: a case report. Tex Heart Inst J. 2006;33 (2): 235-40. Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 2. Stone WM, Abbas MA, Gloviczki P et-al. Celiac arterial aneurysms: a critical reappraisal of a rare entity. Arch Surg. 2002;137 (6): 670-4. Pubmed citation
- 3. Junewick JJ, Grant TH, Weiss CA et-al. Celiac artery aneurysm: color Doppler evaluation. J Ultrasound Med. 1993;12 (6): 355-7. Pubmed citation
- 4. Soudack M, Gaitini D, Ofer A. Celiac artery aneurysm: diagnosis by color Doppler sonography and three-dimensional CT angiography. J Clin Ultrasound. 1999;27 (1): 49-51. Pubmed citation
- 5. Risher WH, Hollier LH, Bolton JS et-al. Celiac artery aneurysm. Ann Vasc Surg. 1991;5 (4): 392-5. doi:10.1007/BF02015305 - Pubmed citation
- 6. Vasconcelos L, Garcia AC, Silva e Castro J et-al. Celiac artery aneurysms. Ann Vasc Surg. 2010;24 (4): 554.e17-22. doi:10.1016/j.avsg.2009.11.010 - Pubmed citation
- 7. De Aneurysmatibus, Opus Posthumum. Aneurysms, the Latin Text of Rome, 1745; Rev., with Translation and Notes, by Wilmer Cave Wright. Read relevant article. Accessed on 23/10/2016
- 8. Fye WB. Giovanni Maria Lancisi, 1654-1720. Clin Cardiol. 1990;13 (9): 670-1. Pubmed citation