Colloid adenocarcinoma of the lung
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Yuranga Weerakkody had no recorded disclosures.View Yuranga Weerakkody's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Bruno Di Muzio had no recorded disclosures.View Bruno Di Muzio's current disclosures
Colloid adenocarcinoma of the lung is an extremely rare (i.e. only accounting for ~0.2% of all lung cancers) variant of invasive lung adenocarcinoma.
It is histologically characterized by the presence of abundant mucus in the tumor with neoplastic cells seen floating in large pools of mucus and focally lining alveolar spaces.
Due to its rarity, there are only limited publications on its imaging appearances.
Limited reports suggest this can look like a mass with poor/scant contrast enhancement with attenuation from around -16 to 20 HU (median ~9 HU) 3.
Not usually performed in thoracic imaging but if performed may show:
- T1: low intensity
- T2: high intensity (might be from the mucus component)
May show curvilinear or crisscross FDG uptake where tumor cells line walls or septal structures 3.
- 1. Kalhor N. Colloid carcinoma of the lung: Current views. (2014) Seminars in diagnostic pathology. 31 (4): 265-70. doi:10.1053/j.semdp.2014.06.003 - Pubmed
- 2. Ogusu S, Takahashi K, Hirakawa H, Tanaka M, Komiya K, Nakamura T, Egashira R, Kai K, Takeda Y, Kimura S, Sueoka-Aragane N. Primary Pulmonary Colloid Adenocarcinoma: How Can We Obtain a Precise Diagnosis?. (2018) Internal medicine (Tokyo, Japan). 57 (24): 3637-3641. doi:10.2169/internalmedicine.1153-18 - Pubmed
- 3. Kim HK, Han J, Franks TJ, Lee KS, Kim TJ, Choi JY, Zo J. Colloid Adenocarcinoma of the Lung: CT and PET/CT Findings in Seven Patients. (2018) AJR. American journal of roentgenology. 211 (2): W84-W91. doi:10.2214/AJR.17.19273 - Pubmed
- 4. Blake Eric Christianson, Supriya Gupta, Shikhar G Vyas, Helena Spartz, Jayanth H Keshavamurthy. A diagnostic challenge: An incidental lung nodule in a 48-year-old nonsmoker. (2018) Lung India. 35 (3): 251. doi:10.4103/lungindia.lungindia_212_17 - Pubmed