Coronary arterial ectasia
Coronary arterial ectasia (CAE) refers to diffuse dilatation of the coronary arteries. Under some classification systems there is some overlap with the term coronary arterial aneurysms (which is a more focal dilatation).
It is often defined as dilatation of an arterial segment to a diameter at least 1.5 times (i.e. 150%) that of the adjacent normal coronary artery (unaffected segment) and involves at least 50% or more of the length of the artery 1.
They may be present in up to ~5% (range 3-8%) of angiographic and in ~1% (range 0.2-1.4%) of autopsy series.
It is attributed to atherosclerosis in 50% of patients while in ~25% of patients it may be congenital in origin.
- coronary artery disease: co-exists in the great majority patients
- inflammatory or connective tissue diseases: 10-20% cases and include
- purely congenital in origin: small proportion of cases
One method of classification is 1:
- type I: diffuse ectasia of two or three vessels
- type II: diffuse ectasia of of one vessel and localized disease in other, i.e. an aneurysm
- type III: diffuse ectasia in only one vessel
- type IV: focal coronary aneurysm in one vessel
- 1. Díaz-Zamudio M, Bacilio-Pérez U, Herrera-Zarza MC et-al. Coronary artery aneurysms and ectasia: role of coronary CT angiography. Radiographics. 2009;29 (7): 1939-54. doi:10.1148/rg.297095048 - Pubmed citation
- 2. Gunes Y, Boztosun B, Yildiz A et-al. Clinical profile and outcome of coronary artery ectasia. Heart. 2006;92 (8): 1159-60. doi:10.1136/hrt.2005.069633 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 3. Manginas A, Cokkinos DV. Coronary artery ectasias: imaging, functional assessment and clinical implications. Eur. Heart J. 2005;27 (9): 1026-31. doi:10.1093/eurheartj/ehi725 - Pubmed citation
- 4. Aboeata AS, Sontineni SP, Alla VM et-al. Coronary artery ectasia: current concepts and interventions. Front Biosci (Elite Ed). 2012;4: 300-10. Pubmed citation
- 5. Ramappa P, Kottam A, Kuivanemi H et-al. Coronary artery ectasia-is it time for a reappraisal?. Clin Cardiol. 2007;30 (5): 214-7. doi:10.1002/clc.20002 - Pubmed citation
- 6. Chakrabarti S, Thomas E, Wright JG, Vettukattil JJ. Congenital coronary artery dilatation. Heart (British Cardiac Society). 89 (6): 595-6. Pubmed