Citation, DOI and article data
The corticospinal tract (or pyramidal tract) is a descending white matter tract primarily concerned with motor function extending from the motor cortex down to synapse with motor neurons of the spinal cord in the anterior horns.
Corticospinal fibers are axons from upper motor neurons in the cerebral cortex. Over half of these arise in the primary motor cortex with additional contributions from the premotor cortex, supplementary motor cortex and even the sensory cortex. In the primary motor cortex, fibers arise specifically from Betz cells 1-2,4.
Organized somatotopically, these fibers descend through subcortical white matter and form the anterior two-thirds of the posterior limb of the internal capsule. They pass through the ventral midbrain, specifically the central and lateral portions of the inner crus, and continue through the pons. In the medulla oblongata, corticospinal fibers collect into a discrete bundle forming the pyramid 1-2.
The pyramid is a discrete triangular column on the ventral medulla oblongata next to the midline. This is why the corticospinal tract is also called the pyramidal tract. Within the pyramids approximately 90% of the corticospinal fibers decussate, forming the lateral corticospinal tract. The remaining 10% fibers remain ipsilateral (i.e. do not decussate) and form the anterior corticospinal tract 1-4.
The anterior and lateral tracts are discussed separately.
- 1. Standring S. Gray's anatomy. Elsevier. ISBN:0808923714. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 2. Last's Anatomy. Churchill Livingstone. ISBN:0702033944. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 3. John Mendoza, Anne Foundas. Clinical Neuroanatomy. ISBN: 9780387366005
- 4. Kunam VK, Velayudhan V, Chaudhry ZA, Bobinski M, Smoker WRK, Reede DL. Incomplete Cord Syndromes: Clinical and Imaging Review. (2018) Radiographics : a review publication of the Radiological Society of North America, Inc. 38 (4): 1201-1222. doi:10.1148/rg.2018170178 - Pubmed
- spinal canal
- cervical spine
- thoracic spine
- lumbar spine
- vertebral body
- neural arch
- transitional vertebrae
- ossification centers
- intervertebral disc
- anterior longitudinal ligament
- posterior longitudinal ligament
- posterior ligamentous complex
- cervical spine ligaments
- iliolumbar ligament
- epidural ligaments
- musculature of the vertebral column
- muscles of the neck
- muscles of the back
- spinal meninges and spaces
- gross anatomy
white matter tracts (white matter)
- corticospinal tract
- anterolateral columns
- lateral columns
- dorsal columns
- grey matter
- nerve root
- central canal
- functional anatomy
- spinal cord blood supply
- sympathetic chain