Cyclopia refers to a rare fetal malformation characterised by a single palpebral fissure and a single midline orbit. This orbit may contain either a single globe or two separate globe.
The condition is thought to affect approximately 1 in 40,000 to 95,000 births (inclusive of stillbirths)
It results from a deficient development of the superior precordial segment with an associated underdevelopment of the oro-nasal cavity 5. There is a severe error in prosencephalic development.
- severe brain malformations
Cyclopia can also occur as part of the spectrum of
May be seen with targeted imaging of the fetal face where a common orbit may be seen in the upper half of the face.
Cyclopia is essentially incompatible with life 1.
Derived from the Greek word cyclopes meaning ring-eyed 4.
- 7. Huang CY, Chiang JH, Yeh GP et-al. Cyclopia with trisomy 13. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 1987;27 (3): 251-5. - Pubmed citation
- 1. Cannistrá C, Barbet P, Parisi P et-al. Cyclopia: a radiological and anatomical craniofacial post mortem study. J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2001;29 (3): 150-5. J Craniomaxillofac Surg (link) - Pubmed citation
- 2. Liu DP, Burrowes DM, Qureshi MN. Cyclopia: craniofacial appearance on MR and three-dimensional CT. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 1997;18 (3): 543-6. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol (abstract) - Pubmed citation
- 3. Baert AL. Encyclopedia of Diagnostic Imaging. Springer Verlag. (2008) ISBN:3540352783. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 4. Georgiades CS. Etymology of selected medical terms used in radiology: the mythologic connection. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2002;178 (5): 1101-7. AJR Am J Roentgenol (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 5. Merz E, Bahlmann F. Ultrasound in obstetrics and gynecology. Thieme Medical Publishers. (2005) ISBN:1588901475. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 6. Weaver DD, Solomon BD, Akin-samson K et-al. Cyclopia (synophthalmia) in Smith-Lemli-Opitz syndrome: First reported case and consideration of mechanism. Am J Med Genet C Semin Med Genet. 2010;154C (1): 142-5. doi:10.1002/ajmg.c.30241 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation