Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Yuranga Weerakkody had no recorded disclosures.View Yuranga Weerakkody's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Andrew Murphy had no recorded disclosures.View Andrew Murphy's current disclosures
Cyclopia refers to a rare fetal malformation characterized by a single palpebral fissure and a single midline orbit. This orbit may contain either a single globe or two separate globe.
The condition is thought to affect approximately 1 in 40,000 to 95,000 births (inclusive of stillbirths)
It results from a deficient development of the superior precordial segment with an associated underdevelopment of the oro-nasal cavity 5. There is a severe error in prosencephalic development.
- severe brain malformations
Cyclopia can also occur as part of the spectrum of
May be seen with targeted imaging of the fetal face where a common orbit may be seen in the upper half of the face.
Cyclopia is essentially incompatible with life 1.
Derived from the Greek word 'cyclopes' meaning 'ring-eyed' 4.
- 1. Cannistrá C, Barbet P, Parisi P et-al. Cyclopia: a radiological and anatomical craniofacial post mortem study. J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2001;29 (3): 150-5. J Craniomaxillofac Surg (link) - Pubmed citation
- 2. Liu DP, Burrowes DM, Qureshi MN. Cyclopia: craniofacial appearance on MR and three-dimensional CT. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 1997;18 (3): 543-6. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol (abstract) - Pubmed citation
- 3. Baert AL. Encyclopedia of Diagnostic Imaging. Springer Verlag. (2008) ISBN:3540352783. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 4. Georgiades CS. Etymology of selected medical terms used in radiology: the mythologic connection. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2002;178 (5): 1101-7. AJR Am J Roentgenol (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 5. Merz E, Bahlmann F. Ultrasound in obstetrics and gynecology. Thieme Medical Publishers. (2005) ISBN:1588901475. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 6. Weaver DD, Solomon BD, Akin-samson K et-al. Cyclopia (synophthalmia) in Smith-Lemli-Opitz syndrome: First reported case and consideration of mechanism. Am J Med Genet C Semin Med Genet. 2010;154C (1): 142-5. doi:10.1002/ajmg.c.30241 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 7. Huang CY, Chiang JH, Yeh GP et-al. Cyclopia with trisomy 13. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 1987;27 (3): 251-5. - Pubmed citation