Cystic endometrial hyperplasia
Cystic endometrial hyperplasia is the most common as well as the most benign form of endometrial hyperplasia.
Typically shows endometrial thickening with associated cysts.
For imaging appearences consider:
- prolonged proliferative phase from chronic anovulation 3
- e.g. those with PCOS / long term oral contraceptive use in a premenopausal patient
- 1. Jorizzo JR, Chen MY, Martin D et-al. Spectrum of endometrial hyperplasia and its mimics on saline hysterosonography. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2002;179 (2): 385-9. AJR Am J Roentgenol (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 2. Nalaboff KM, Pellerito JS, Ben-levi E. Imaging the endometrium: disease and normal variants. Radiographics. 21 (6): 1409-24. Radiographics (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 3. Peri N, Levine D. Sonographic evaluation of the endometrium in patients with a history or an appearance of polycystic ovarian syndrome. J Ultrasound Med. 2007;26 (1): 55-8. J Ultrasound Med (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 4. Sheth S, Hamper UM, Kurman RJ. Thickened endometrium in the postmenopausal woman: sonographic-pathologic correlation. Radiology. 1993;187 (1): 135-9. doi:10.1148/radiology.187.1.8451399 - Pubmed citation