Deep infrapatellar bursa
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Joachim Feger had no recorded disclosures.View Joachim Feger's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Calum Worsley had no recorded disclosures.View Calum Worsley's current disclosures
The deep infrapatellar bursa is one of many bursae surrounding the knee joint and shares the name with its superficial, subcutaneous counterpart.
It is located above the tibial tubercle immediately superior to the distal patellar tendon insertion and posterior to the lower third of the patellar tendon 1.
It is usually slightly wider than the patellar tendon and generally features two partial compartments, anteriorly and posteriorly, divided by a retropatellar fat pad extension 1. The deep infrapatellar bursa does not have any communication with the knee joint 1,2.
The following pathologies are associated with the deep infrapatellar bursa 1-5.
- 1. LaPrade R. The Anatomy of the Deep Infrapatellar Bursa of the Knee. Am J Sports Med. 1998;26(1):129-32. doi:10.1177/03635465980260010501 - Pubmed
- 2. Perdikakis E & Skiadas V. MRI Characteristics of Cysts and "Cyst-Like" Lesions in and Around the Knee: What the Radiologist Needs to Know. Insights Imaging. 2013;4(3):257-72. doi:10.1007/s13244-013-0240-1 - Pubmed
- 3. Janzen D, Peterfy C, Forbes J, Tirman P, Genant H. Cystic Lesions Around the Knee Joint: MR Imaging Findings. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1994;163(1):155-61. doi:10.2214/ajr.163.1.8010203 - Pubmed
- 4. Taylor P. Inflammation of the Deep Infrapatellar Bursa of the Knee. Arthritis Rheum. 1989;32(10):1312-4. doi:10.1002/anr.1780321018 - Pubmed
- 5. Aklilu S, Dunham G, Chew F. Traumatic Lipohemobursa of the Infrapatellar Bursa. Radiol Case Rep. 2018;13(2):513-5. doi:10.1016/j.radcr.2017.12.004 - Pubmed
- 6. Paulos L, Wnorowski D, Greenwald A. Infrapatellar Contracture Syndrome. Diagnosis, Treatment, and Long-Term Followup. Am J Sports Med. 1994;22(4):440-9. doi:10.1177/036354659402200402 - Pubmed