Diffuse peritoneal leiomyomatosis
Citation, DOI & article data
Diffuse or disseminated peritoneal leiomyomatosis, also known as leiomyomatosis peritonealis disseminata, is an exceedingly rare benign disorder characterized by multiple vascular leiomyomas growing along the submesothelial tissues of the abdominopelvic peritoneum.
It is usually discovered incidentally in women of reproductive age.
- long-term use of oral contraceptives
- granulosa cell tumors of the ovary 1
- pregnancy 5
- hysterectomy with power morcellation 6
A spectrum of features can be seen ranging from multiple solid subcentimeter nodules like those in peritoneal carcinomatosis to large solid masses on both ultrasound and CT. These masses may show homogeneous or heterogeneous attenuation with a variable enhancement pattern similar to that of uterine leiomyomas.
May show multiple masses with signal intensity similar to that of skeletal muscle and smooth muscle on both T1WI and T2WI. Homogeneous enhancement following the administration of contrast material.
History and etymology
The condition was first defined by H D Taubert et al. in 1965 3.
General considerations include:
- peritoneal carcinomatosis: typically patients have associated weight loss, ascites, and disease progression observed at imaging
- 1. Fasih N, Prasad shanbhogue AK, Macdonald DB et-al. Leiomyomas beyond the uterus: unusual locations, rare manifestations. Radiographics. 28 (7): 1931-48. doi:10.1148/rg.287085095 - Pubmed citation
- 2. Rosica G, Santilli G, Bucari D et-al. A case of disseminated peritoneal leiomyomatosis and diffuse uterine leiomyomatosis. Clin Exp Obstet Gynecol. 2011;38 (1): 84-7. - Pubmed citation
- 3. Taubert HD, Wissner SE, Haskins AL. Leimyomatosis peritonealis disseminata; An unusual complication of genital leimyomata. Obstet Gynecol. 1965;25 : 561-74. - Pubmed citation
- 4. Kökçü A, Alvur Y, Bariş YS et-al. Leiomyomatosis peritonealis disseminata. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 1994;73 (1): 81-3. - Pubmed citation
- 5. Clement PB, Young RH. Atlas of Gynecologic Surgical Pathology: Expert Consult: Online (Atlases in Diagnostic Surgical Pathology). Saunders. ISBN:B00GC3C45I. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 6. Nguyen D, Maheshwary R, Tran C, Rudkin S, Treaster L. Diffuse peritoneal leiomyomatosis status post laparoscopic hysterectomy with power morcellation: A case report with review of literature. (2017) Gynecologic oncology reports. 19: 59-61. doi:10.1016/j.gore.2017.01.001 - Pubmed