Double switch procedure
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Vincent Tatco had no recorded disclosures.View Vincent Tatco's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Vincent Tatco had no recorded disclosures.View Vincent Tatco's current disclosures
The double switch procedure is a surgical technique used to repair congenitally corrected transposition of the great arteries (L-TGA), which is a cardiovascular anomaly with atrioventricular and ventriculoarterial discordance.
The procedure consists of any of the following surgical combinations:
- atrial inversion surgery (either the Senning or the Mustard repair) and Jatene arterial switch
- atrial inversion surgery (either the Senning or the Mustard repair) and Rastelli-type repair (also known as the Ilbawi or Senelli procedure)
The double switch procedure is usually performed in L-TGA patients of several months to years of age. The aim is to minimize or prevent right ventricular or tricuspid valve dysfunction that complicates the anomaly. Prior to correction, patients may require training of the morphologic left ventricle using pulmonary artery banding.
- 1. Gaca AM, Jaggers JJ, Dudley LT, Bisset GS. Repair of congenital heart disease: a primer-part 1. Radiology. 247 (3): 617-31. doi:10.1148/radiol.2473061909 - Pubmed
- 2. Reddy VM, McElhinney DB, Silverman NH, Hanley FL. The double switch procedure for anatomical repair of congenitally corrected transposition of the great arteries in infants and children. European heart journal. 18 (9): 1470-7. Pubmed
- 3. Sharma, Rajesh, Bhan, Anil, Juneja, Rajneesh, Sunder Kothari, Shyam, Saxena, Anita, Venugopal, Panangipalli. Double switch for congenitally corrected transposition of the great arteries. European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery. 15 (3): 276. doi:10.1016/S1010-7940(99)00030-5
- 4. Pecoraro A, Sreeram N, Dodge-Khatami A, Hitchcock F, Bennink G. The double-switch procedure for atrioventricular and ventriculoarterial discordance. Netherlands heart journal : monthly journal of the Netherlands Society of Cardiology and the Netherlands Heart Foundation. 11 (5): 210-212. Pubmed
- 5. Wu SJ, Chiu IS, Chen SJ, Lee ML, Chen MR, Wu MH, Wang JK, Lue HC. Combined atrial and arterial switch operations for congenitally corrected transposition. Journal of the Formosan Medical Association = Taiwan yi zhi. 100 (1): 53-9. Pubmed