ECOG performance status
The Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) is one of the largest clinical cancer research organizations in the United States, and conducts clinical trials in all types of adult cancers.
The ECOG performance status is a scale used to assess how a patient's disease is progressing, assess how the disease affects the daily living abilities of the patient, and determine appropriate treatment and prognosis.
- grade 0: fully active, able to carry on all pre-disease performance without restriction
- grade 1 : restricted in physically strenuous activity but ambulatory and able to carry out work of a light or sedentary nature, e.g., light house work, office work
- grade 2 : ambulatory and capable of all selfcare but unable to carry out any work activities, up and about more than 50% of waking hours
- grade 3 : capable of only limited selfcare, confined to bed or chair more than 50% of waking hours
- grade 4 : completely disabled, cannot carry on any selfcare, totally confined to bed or chair
- grade 5 : dead
The ECOG performance status is in the public domain, therefore available for public use. To duplicate the scale, please cite the reference below and credit the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group.
- 1. Oken MM, Creech RH, Tormey DC et-al. Toxicity and response criteria of the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group. Am. J. Clin. Oncol. 1983;5 (6): 649-55. Pubmed citation