Citation, DOI & article data
The nucleus is located in the central midbrain at the level of the superior colliculus ventral and medial periaqueductal grey matter. It lies immediately dorsal to the larger oculomotor nucleus and just cranial to the trochlear nucleus.
The parasympathetic fibers synapse in the ciliary ganglion and postganglionic fibers continue to the globe via the short ciliary nerves to innervate the constrictor pupillae muscle and ciliary body. It is therefore important in the functioning of the pupillary light and accommodation reflexes.
- 1. Moore KL, Agur AMR, Dalley AF. Clinically oriented anatomy. LWW. ISBN:1451119453. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 2. Last's anatomy, regional and applied. Churchill Livingstone. ISBN:044304662X. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 3. Susan Standring. Gray's Anatomy. ISBN: 9780702052309
- 4. Robert H. Whitaker, Neil R. Borley. Instant Anatomy. ISBN: 9780632054039
- 5. A. R. Crossman, David Neary (MD.). Neuroanatomy. (1995)