Epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) mutation can be expressed in a large proportion of non-small cell lung carcinomas (NSCLC). However, certain subtypes such as invasive mucinous adenocarcinoma of the lung can have very low expression.
The presence of this mutation can be assessed on biopsy samples. Epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) is a transmembrane glycoprotein that regulates signaling pathways to control cellular proliferation. It belongs to the erbB family of closely related receptor tyrosine kinases.
There is also some (but not 100% 5) mutual exclusivity with ALK gene arrangements.
EGFR is not to be confused with the estimated glomerular filtration rate, which shares the same acronym but with a lower case "e": eGFR.
Useful for assessing the suitability of certain anti-cancer drugs (tyrosine kinase inhibitors) that inhibit EGFR such as gefitinib (IressaTM) ,erlotinib (TarcevaTM) and afatinib (GilotrifTM) 7.
- KRAS mutation
- HER-2 mutations in lung cancer
- anaplastic lymphoma kinase (ALK) gene rearrangements
- ROS 1 mutation
Not to be confused with
- eGFR - (some e) similar abbreviation for - estimated glomerular filtration rate
- 1. da Cunha Santos G, Shepherd FA, Tsao MS. EGFR mutations and lung cancer. (2011) Annual review of pathology. 6: 49-69. doi:10.1146/annurev-pathol-011110-130206 - Pubmed
- 2. Bethune G, Bethune D, Ridgway N, Xu Z. Epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) in lung cancer: an overview and update. (2010) Journal of thoracic disease. 2 (1): 48-51. Pubmed
- 3. Ladanyi M, Pao W. Lung adenocarcinoma: guiding EGFR-targeted therapy and beyond. (2008) Modern pathology : an official journal of the United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology, Inc. 21 Suppl 2: S16-22. doi:10.1038/modpathol.3801018 - Pubmed
- 4. Giaccone G, Rodriguez JA. EGFR inhibitors: what have we learned from the treatment of lung cancer?. (2005) Nature clinical practice. Oncology. 2 (11): 554-61. doi:10.1038/ncponc0341 - Pubmed
- 5. Sweis RF, Thomas S, Bank B, Fishkin P, Mooney C, Salgia R. Concurrent EGFR Mutation and ALK Translocation in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. (2016) Cureus. 8 (2): e513. doi:10.7759/cureus.513 - Pubmed
- 6. Yang Y, Yang Y, Zhou X, Song X, Liu M, He W, Wang H, Wu C, Fei K, Jiang G. EGFR L858R mutation is associated with lung adenocarcinoma patients with dominant ground-glass opacity. (2015) Lung cancer (Amsterdam, Netherlands). 87 (3): 272-7. doi:10.1016/j.lungcan.2014.12.016 - Pubmed
- 7. Engle JA, Kolesar JM. Afatinib: A first-line treatment for selected patients with metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer. (2014) American journal of health-system pharmacy : AJHP : official journal of the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists. 71 (22): 1933-8. doi:10.2146/ajhp130654 - Pubmed