Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Stefano Pacifici had no recorded disclosures.View Stefano Pacifici's current disclosures
Eklund modified compression technique is a technique which can be used for patients with augmented or reconstructed breasts post mastectomy.
It consists of posterosuperior displacement of the implants simultaneously to an anterior traction of the breast, pushing the implants towards the chest wall up to flatten. It is a complex technique that requires a significant sensitivity and skill by mammographers.
Helps image portion of breast that escape visualization due to superimposing implant. This technique is applicable whether the implant is posterior or anterior to the pectoral muscle, as long as the implant remains soft and free of encapsulation.
The advantages of this technique are represented by a significant improvement in image quality and by the display of a greater amount of breast tissue.
It is used in addition to the routine two projection mammogram, and cannot be used as a substitute as it does not image the most posterior portions of the breast.
History and etymology
It is named after G W Eklund who introduced this new technique in 1988 2.
- 1. Silverstein MJ, Gamagami P, Handel N. Missed breast cancer in an augmented woman using implant displacement mammography. Ann Plast Surg. 1990;25 (3): 210-3. - Pubmed citation
- 2. Eklund GW, Busby RC, Miller SH et-al. Improved imaging of the augmented breast. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1988;151 (3): 469-73. AJR Am J Roentgenol (abstract) - Pubmed citation
- 4. Pacifici, Stefano. "Resultados preliminares en la limitación de pérdida de sensibilidad mediante un nuevo enfoque mamográfico en el estudio de prótesis." Imagen Diagnóstica 2.1 (2011): 11-22.
- 4. Hall FM, Homer MJ, D'orsi CJ et-al. Mammography of the augmented breast. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1989;153 (5): 1098-9. AJR Am J Roentgenol (citation) - Pubmed citation
- Andolina VF, Lillé SL. Mammographic Imaging. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. (2011) ISBN:1605470317. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon