Citation, DOI and article data
Enteropathic arthritis (EA) is a form of chronic, inflammatory arthritis associated with the occurrence of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), and is classified as a form of seronegative spondyloarthropathy.
Approximately 20% of people with Crohn disease or ulcerative colitis may develop enteropathic arthritis 1.
While enteropathic arthritis has been classically described with ulcerative colitis and Crohn disease, other gastrointestinal diseases, such as Whipple disease, celiac disease, and intestinal bypass surgery can also be associated with it. It can also be rarely triggered by enteritis due to Salmonella, Shigella or Yersinia 7.
At least three forms of joint abnormalities are recognized in patients with inflammatory bowel diseases according to location 7:
Miscellaneous changes such as digital clubbing and hypertrophic osteoarthropathy can occur as associated manifestations.
- 1. Yüksel İ, Ataseven H, Başar Ö, Köklü S, Ertuğrul İ, Ülker A, Dağlı Ü, Şaşmaz N. Peripheral arthritis in the course of inflammatory bowel diseases. (2011) Digestive diseases and sciences. doi:10.1007/s10620-010-1260-z - Pubmed
- 2. Mester AR, Makó EK, Karlinger K et-al. Enteropathic arthritis in the sacroiliac joint. Imaging and differential diagnosis. Eur J Radiol. 2000;35 (3): 199-208. Pubmed citation
- 3. Peluso R, Di Minno MN, Iervolino S et-al. Enteropathic spondyloarthritis: from diagnosis to treatment. Clin. Dev. Immunol. 2013;2013: 631408. doi:10.1155/2013/631408 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 4. Varkas G, Van Praet L, Cypers H et-al. Spondyloarthritis and inflammatory bowel disease. Comorbidity and treatment implications. Z Rheumatol. 2013;72 (6): 524-9. doi:10.1007/s00393-012-1114-5 - Pubmed citation
- 5. Holden W, Orchard T, Wordsworth P. Enteropathic arthritis. Rheum. Dis. Clin. North Am. 2003;29 (3): 513-30, viii. Pubmed citation
- 6. Wright V. Enteropathic arthritis. Cleve Clin J Med. 1994;61 (1): 14-6. Pubmed citation
- 7. Finch W. Arthritis and the gut. Postgrad Med. 1989;86 (2): 229-30, 233-4. Pubmed citation
- 8. Björkengren AG, Resnick D, Sartoris DJ. Enteropathic arthropathies. Radiol. Clin. North Am. 1987;25 (1): 189-98. Pubmed citation
- 9. Colombo E, Latiano A, Palmieri O et-al. Enteropathic spondyloarthropathy: a common genetic background with inflammatory bowel disease?. World J. Gastroenterol. 2009;15 (20): 2456-62. Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citationhttps://radiopaedia.org/articles/enteropathic-arthritis/edit?lang=gb#