Enteropathic arthritis (EA) is a form of chronic, inflammatory arthritis associated with the occurrence of an inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), and is classified as a form of seronegative spondyloarthropathy.
Approximately 20% of people with Crohn disease or ulcerative colitis may develop enteropathic arthritis (ref required).
While EA has been classically described with ulcerative colitis and Crohn disease, other gastrointestinal diseases, such as Whipple disease, celiac disease, and intestinal bypass surgery can also be associated with an enteropathic arthritis. It can also be rarely trigger by enteritis due to Salmonella, Shigella or Yersinia 7.
A least three forms of joint abnormalities are recognised in patients with inflammatory bowel diseases according to location 7:
Miscellaneous changes such as digital clubbing and hypertrophic osteoarthropathy can occur as associated manifestations.
- 1. Mester AR, Makó EK, Karlinger K et-al. Enteropathic arthritis in the sacroiliac joint. Imaging and differential diagnosis. Eur J Radiol. 2000;35 (3): 199-208. Pubmed citation
- 2. Peluso R, Di Minno MN, Iervolino S et-al. Enteropathic spondyloarthritis: from diagnosis to treatment. Clin. Dev. Immunol. 2013;2013: 631408. doi:10.1155/2013/631408 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 3. Varkas G, Van Praet L, Cypers H et-al. Spondyloarthritis and inflammatory bowel disease. Comorbidity and treatment implications. Z Rheumatol. 2013;72 (6): 524-9. doi:10.1007/s00393-012-1114-5 - Pubmed citation
- 4. Holden W, Orchard T, Wordsworth P. Enteropathic arthritis. Rheum. Dis. Clin. North Am. 2003;29 (3): 513-30, viii. Pubmed citation
- 5. Wright V. Enteropathic arthritis. Cleve Clin J Med. 1994;61 (1): 14-6. Pubmed citation
- 6. Finch W. Arthritis and the gut. Postgrad Med. 1989;86 (2): 229-30, 233-4. Pubmed citation
- 7. Björkengren AG, Resnick D, Sartoris DJ. Enteropathic arthropathies. Radiol. Clin. North Am. 1987;25 (1): 189-98. Pubmed citation
- 8. Colombo E, Latiano A, Palmieri O et-al. Enteropathic spondyloarthropathy: a common genetic background with inflammatory bowel disease?. World J. Gastroenterol. 2009;15 (20): 2456-62. Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- seronegative spondyloarthritides
- Jaccoud arthropathy
- juvenile idiopathic arthritis
- lyme arthritis
- rheumatoid arthritis
- systemic lupus erythematosus
- erosive osteoarthritis
- osteoarthritis (mnemonic)
- primary cystic arthrosis of the hip
- rapidly destructive osteoarthritis of the hip
- secondary synovial osteochondromatosis
- miscellaneous disorders
- related articles