Epithelial membrane antigen (EMA)
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Frank Gaillard had no recorded disclosures.View Frank Gaillard's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Joachim Feger had no recorded disclosures.View Joachim Feger's current disclosures
Epithelial membrane antigen (EMA) also known as CD227, MUC1 or episialin is a cell surface mucin glycoprotein found on many ductal and glandular epithelial cells and some hematopoietic cells.
It serves as a target in immunohistochemistry where it is a common epithelial marker and expressed by many adenocarcinomas with a poor prognosis beyond that it is expressed by meningiomas, Paget disease, epithelioid sarcomas and synovial sarcomas It also is sometimes seen within the cytoplasm of cells (e.g. perinuclear dot in ependymomas) 1-5.
- 1. Ormerod MG, Steele K, Westwood JH, Mazzini MN. Epithelial membrane antigen: partial purification, assay and properties. (1983) British journal of cancer. 48 (4): 533-41. doi:10.1038/bjc.1983.226 - Pubmed
- 2. Pinkus GS, Kurtin PJ. Epithelial membrane antigen--a diagnostic discriminant in surgical pathology: immunohistochemical profile in epithelial, mesenchymal, and hematopoietic neoplasms using paraffin sections and monoclonal antibodies. (1985) Human pathology. 16 (9): 929-40. doi:10.1016/s0046-8177(85)80132-5 - Pubmed
- 3. Theaker JM, Gatter KC, Esiri MM, Fleming KA. Epithelial membrane antigen and cytokeratin expression by meningiomas: an immunohistological study. (1986) Journal of clinical pathology. 39 (4): 435-9. doi:10.1136/jcp.39.4.435 - Pubmed
- 4. Al-Abbadi MA, Almasri NM, Al-Quran S, Wilkinson EJ. Cytokeratin and epithelial membrane antigen expression in angiosarcomas: an immunohistochemical study of 33 cases. (2007) Archives of pathology & laboratory medicine. 131 (2): 288-92. doi:10.1043/1543-2165(2007)131[288:CAEMAE]2.0.CO;2 - Pubmed
- 5. Barbara Young, James S. Lowe, Alan Stevens, John W. Heath, Philip J. Deakin. Wheater's Functional Histology. ISBN: 9781437700756