An epithelioid trophoblastic tumour (ETT) is an extremely rare form of trophoblastic neoplasm. It is considered as a rare subtype of gestational trophoblastic disease 2,4.
It typically presents in women of reproductive age (peak age in late 30's) and can occur between 1 and 18 years following a previous gestation 3.
It most commonly occurs in the uterus and usually (albeit remote) in association with a gestational event. Rare extra uterine locations have also been described which include
- Fallopian tube
- broad ligament 5
Serum beta-HCG levels are often highly elevated 4.
Treatment and prognosis
The clinical behaviour of an ETT is often difficult to predict and while most cases follow a benign course following resection, there is a potential for metastatic disease 3.
- 1. Parker A, Lee V, Dalrymple C et-al. Epithelioid trophoblastic tumour: report of a case in the fallopian tube. Pathology. 2003;35 (2): 136-40. Pathology (link) - Pubmed citation
- 2. Coulson LE, Kong CS, Zaloudek C. Epithelioid trophoblastic tumor of the uterus in a postmenopausal woman: a case report and review of the literature. Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 2000;24 (11): 1558-62. Am. J. Surg. Pathol. (link) - Pubmed citation
- 3. Allison KH, Love JE, Garcia RL. Epithelioid trophoblastic tumor: review of a rare neoplasm of the chorionic-type intermediate trophoblast. Arch. Pathol. Lab. Med. 2006;130 (12): 1875-7. doi:10.1043/1543-2165(2006)130[1875:ETTROA]2.0.CO;2 - Pubmed citation
- 4. Shih IM, Kurman RJ. Epithelioid trophoblastic tumor: a neoplasm distinct from choriocarcinoma and placental site trophoblastic tumor simulating carcinoma. Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 1998;22 (11): 1393-403. Am. J. Surg. Pathol. (link) - Pubmed citation
- 5. Kuo KT, Chen MJ, Lin MC. Epithelioid trophoblastic tumor of the broad ligament: a case report and review of the literature. Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 2004;28 (3): 405-9. Am. J. Surg. Pathol. (link) - Pubmed citation
- 6. Fadare O, Parkash V, Carcangiu ML et-al. Epithelioid trophoblastic tumor: clinicopathological features with an emphasis on uterine cervical involvement. Mod. Pathol. 2006;19 (1): 75-82. doi:10.1038/modpathol.3800485 - Pubmed citation
- 7. Meydanli MM, Kucukali T, Usubutun A et-al. Epithelioid trophoblastic tumor of the endocervix: a case report. Gynecol. Oncol. 2002;87 (2): 219-24. Gynecol. Oncol. (link) - Pubmed citation
- 8. Palmer JE, Macdonald M, Wells M et-al. Epithelioid trophoblastic tumor: a review of the literature. J Reprod Med. 2008;53 (7): 465-75. - Pubmed citation