Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Candace Makeda Moore had no recorded disclosures.View Candace Makeda Moore's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Henry Knipe had the following disclosures:
- Integral Diagnostics, Shareholder (ongoing)
- Micro-X Ltd, Shareholder (ongoing)
These were assessed during peer review and were determined to not be relevant to the changes that were made.View Henry Knipe's current disclosures
Fibrosarcomas are malignant tumors of fibroblast origin. They are a type of soft tissue sarcoma that can be grouped by patient age, i.e. adult fibrosarcoma and infantile fibrosarcoma, and/or anatomical region, for example:
These tumors are of mesenchymal origin.
On histopathology, they are typically described as having "herringbone" architecture. Tumors may be well-differentiated or poorly differentiated.
On CT, masses with similar density to muscle may indicate a fibrosarcoma.
Although detectable on MRI, fibrosarcoma is currently (c. 2020) not universally understood to have a distinct signature MRI appearance that is the same regardless of the anatomical region.
Treatment and prognosis
Although adult and infantile fibrosarcomas are histologically the same, the prognoses are different with children having more favorable outcomes 4.
- 1. Akshay D. Baheti, Ryan B. O'Malley, Sooah Kim, Abhishek R. Keraliya, Sree Harsha Tirumani, Nikhil H. Ramaiya, Carolyn L. Wang. Soft-Tissue Sarcomas: An Update for Radiologists Based on the Revised 2013 World Health Organization Classification. (2016) American Journal of Roentgenology. 206 (5): 924-32. doi:10.2214/AJR.15.15498 - Pubmed
- 2. Wang, Hexiang, Nie, Pei, Dong, Cheng, Li, Jie, Huang, Yonghua, Hao, Dapeng, Xu, Wenjian. CT and MRI Findings of Soft Tissue Adult Fibrosarcoma in Extremities. (2020) BioMed Research International. 2018: 6075705. doi:10.1155/2018/6075705 - Pubmed
- 3. Fibrosarcoma: a review and update. (2014) Histopathology. 64 (1): 12. doi:10.1111/his.12282 - Pubmed
- 4. Kiran M. Sargar, Elizabeth F. Sheybani, Archana Shenoy, John Aranake-Chrisinger, Geetika Khanna. Pediatric Fibroblastic and Myofibroblastic Tumors: A Pictorial Review. (2016) RadioGraphics. 36 (4): 1195-214. doi:10.1148/rg.2016150191 - Pubmed