Fibrotic non-specific interstitial pneumonitis
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Yuranga Weerakkody had no recorded disclosures.View Yuranga Weerakkody's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Sebastian Röhrich had the following disclosures:
- contextflow GmbH, Medical advisor (ongoing)
These were assessed during peer review and were determined to not be relevant to the changes that were made.View Sebastian Röhrich's current disclosures
Fibrotic non-specific interstitial pneumonitis is a histological subtype of non-specific interstitial pneumonitis (NSIP). It is considered the more common form 1. This pattern manifests as chronic interstitial inflammation obscured by interstitial fibrosis (with dense collagen), a temporal homogeneous pattern, and occasional focal honeycomb fibrosis 3.
Treatment and prognosis
Corticosteroid can be given but it carries a worse prognosis than the cellular type.
The key imaging differential is a UIP pattern
- according to one study 62% of patients with UIP showed subpleural predominance whereas 55% of patients with fibrotic NSIP exhibited random distribution 4
- 1. Kim DS, Collard HR, King TE. Classification and natural history of the idiopathic interstitial pneumonias. Proc Am Thorac Soc. 2006;3 (4): 285-92. doi:10.1513/pats.200601-005TK - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 2. Mueller-Mang C, Grosse C, Schmid K et-al. What every radiologist should know about idiopathic interstitial pneumonias. Radiographics. 2007;27 (3): 595-615. Radiographics (full text) - doi:10.1148/rg.273065130 - Pubmed citation
- 3. Wittram C, Mark EJ, McLoud TC. CT-histologic correlation of the ATS/ERS 2002 classification of idiopathic interstitial pneumonias. Radiographics. 2003;23 (5): 1057-71. doi:10.1148/rg.235035702 - Pubmed citation
- 4. Ho Yun Lee, Kyung Soo Lee, Yeon Joo Jeong, Jung Hwa Hwang, Hyo Jin Kim, Man Pyo Chung, Joungho Han. High-Resolution CT Findings in Fibrotic Idiopathic Interstitial Pneumonias With Little Honeycombing: Serial Changes and Prognostic Implications. (2012) American Journal of Roentgenology. 199 (5): 982-9. doi:10.2214/AJR.11.8192 - Pubmed
- 5. Churg A, Müller NL. Cellular vs fibrosing interstitial pneumonias and prognosis: a practical classification of the idiopathic interstitial pneumonias and pathologically/radiologically similar conditions. (2006) Chest. 130 (5): 1566-70. doi:10.1378/chest.130.5.1566 - Pubmed