Fibrous pseudotumor of the scrotum
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Yuranga Weerakkody had no recorded disclosures.View Yuranga Weerakkody's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Jeremy Jones had no recorded disclosures.View Jeremy Jones's current disclosures
Fibrous pseudotumor of the scrotum is a relatively rare, non-neoplastic extratesticular non-epididymal lesion.
Certain factors increases the risk of fibrous pseudotumor of the scrotum 5:
- inflammatory hydrocele
It is characterized by usually nodular, probably reactive proliferation of fibrous tissue and inflammatory cells. It occurs due to prior inflammation, infection, or trauma.
It most often involves the tunica vaginalis.
Sonographic appearances can be widely variable. They are typically seen as one or more solid paratesticular or tunica nodules or masses with variable echogenicity.
- T1: uniformly low signal intensity: due to the presence of fibrosis 4
- T2: uniformly low signal intensity: due to the presence of fibrosis 4
- T1 (C+) Gd: generally show slow but persistent enhancement, as is typical of fibrous tissue, although enhancement can be variable 4
Clinically, it can mimic testicular malignancy.
- 1. Germaine P, Simerman LP. Fibrous pseudotumor of the scrotum. J Ultrasound Med. 2007;26 (1): 133-8. J Ultrasound Med (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 2. Yang DM, Kim HC, Lim SJ. Sonographic findings of fibrous pseudotumor of the tunica vaginalis. J Clin Ultrasound. 2012;40 (4): 252-4. doi:10.1002/jcu.20888 - Pubmed citation
- 3. Khallouk A, Ahallal Y, Tazi E et-al. Benign paratesticular fibrous pseudotumor with malignant clinical features. Rev Urol. 2012;13 (4): e203-5. Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 4. Cassidy FH, Ishioka KM, McMahon CJ et-al. MR imaging of scrotal tumors and pseudotumors. Radiographics. 2010;30 (3): 665-83. Radiographics (full text) - doi:10.1148/rg.303095049 - Pubmed citation
- 5. Kodama H, Hatakeyama S, Matsumoto T, Tanaka T, Horiguchi H, Kubota Y, Yamamoto H, Imai A, Yoneyama T, Hashimoto Y, Koie T, Ohyama C. A Case of Fibrous Pseudotumor in the Scrotum: Challenge for Diagnosis and Testicular Preservation. (2018) Case reports in urology. 2018: 6904827. doi:10.1155/2018/6904827 - Pubmed