Fibroxanthoma of bone
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Frank Gaillard had no recorded disclosures.View Frank Gaillard's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Joachim Feger had no financial relationships to ineligible companies to disclose.View Joachim Feger's current disclosures
Fibroxanthoma of bone and metaphyseal fibrous defect are terms that have been previously to encompass both non-ossifying fibroma and fibrous cortical defect or synonymous with non-ossifying fibroma 1-4. Non-ossifying fibroma and fibrous cortical defect are histologically the same and the different terminology of both entities was only based on the size of the lesion (non-ossifying fibroma >2 cm; fibrous cortical defect <2cm) 5.
As of the WHO classification of soft tissue and bone tumors (5th edition) the terms ‘metaphyseal fibrous defect’, 'fibrous cortical defect' and 'benign fibrous histiocytoma' are no longer recommended, instead, non-ossifying fibroma (NOF) is preferred. Fibroxanthoma of bone is not even mentioned in the book, which probably means that the term is outdated and that it is safe to not lose too much sleep over this one 6.
- 1. Moser R, Sweet D, Haseman D, Madewell J. Multiple Skeletal Fibroxanthomas: Radiologic-Pathologic Correlation of 72 Cases. Skeletal Radiol. 1987;16(5):353-9. doi:10.1007/bf00350960 - Pubmed
- 2. Betsy M, Kupersmith L, Springfield D. Metaphyseal Fibrous Defects. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2004;12(2):89-95. doi:10.5435/00124635-200403000-00004 - Pubmed
- 3. Hetts S, Hilchey S, Wilson R, Franc B. Case 110: Nonossifying Fibroma. Radiology. 2007;243(1):288-92. doi:10.1148/radiol.2431040427 - Pubmed
- 4. Hamada T, Ito H, Araki Y, Fujii K, Inoue M, Ishida O. Benign Fibrous Histiocytoma of the Femur: Review of Three Cases. Skeletal Radiol. 1996;25(1):25-9. doi:10.1007/s002560050027 - Pubmed
- 5. Fibroxanthoma. Imaging in Pediatrics. 2018;:275. doi:10.1016/b978-0-323-47778-9.50201-4
- 6. WHO Classification of Tumours Editorial Board. WHO Classification of Tumours, 5th Edition. Soft Tissue and Bone Tumours. (2020) ISBN: 9789283245025 - IARC Publications