The Finnish type congenital nephrotic syndrome is a sub type of congenital nephrotic syndrome. A large placenta and proteinuria from birth are considered hallmarks of the disease 2. The proteinuria is often of intra-uterine onset. Although it is named the Finnish type, it can occur outside Finland 3.
It is thought to carry an autosomal recessive inheritance. The CNF gene has been localized to the long arm of chromosome 19 4.
- 1. 1. Northrup M, Mendez-castillo A, Brown JC et-al. Congenital nephrotic syndrome, Finnish type: sonographic appearance and pathologic correlation. J Ultrasound Med. 2003;22 (10): 1097-9. J Ultrasound Med (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 2. Huttunen NP. Congenital nephrotic syndrome of Finnish type. Study of 75 patients. Arch. Dis. Child. 1976;51 (5): 344-8. doi:10.1136/adc.51.5.344 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 3. Lin JH, Tsau YK, Tsai WS et-al. Congenital nephrotic syndrome of the Finnish type: report of one case. Zhonghua Min Guo Xiao Er Ke Yi Xue Hui Za Zhi. 38 (6): 481-3. - Pubmed citation
- 4. Holmberg C, Antikainen M, Rönnholm K et-al. Management of congenital nephrotic syndrome of the Finnish type. Pediatr. Nephrol. 1995;9 (1): 87-93. - Pubmed citation
- 5. Laine J, Jalanko H, Holthöfer H et-al. Post-transplantation nephrosis in congenital nephrotic syndrome of the Finnish type. Kidney Int. 1993;44 (4): 867-74. - Pubmed citation