Flexor carpi radialis muscle
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Henry Knipe had no recorded disclosures.View Henry Knipe's current disclosures
Flexor carpi radialis (FCR) is found in the first layer of the anterior compartment of the forearm and is one of the extrinsic muscles of the hand. It does not pass through the carpal tunnel, but rather by itself in a small separate FCR tunnel.
origin: medial epicondyle of the humerus, antebrachial fascia
insertion: base of the 2nd and 3rd metacarpals, small slip to trapezial tuberosity
innervation: median nerve (C6-7)
action: flexion and radial deviation of the wrist joint
FCR tendon is enclosed by a sheath from the level of the distal radius to its insertion at the 2nd/3rd metacarpal bases. The FCR tendon travels above the scaphoid and through the scaphotrapeziotrapezoid joint before entering the FCR tunnel. The tendon enters the tunnel by passing through a vertical groove on the trapezium 1, 2-6.
Distal to the FCR tunnel, the tendon angles dorsally with a primary insertion on the palmar surface of the base of the second metacarpal (80%) and secondary insertion (20%) onto the base of the third metacarpal. The FCR tendon also has some fibers that attach to the trapezial tubercle 1, 2-6.
- 1. Susan Standring. Gray's Anatomy. (2008) ISBN: 9780443066849 - Google Books
- 2. Luong D, Smith J, Bianchi S. Flexor Carpi Radialis Tendon Ultrasound Pictorial Essay. Skeletal Radiol. 2014;43(6):745-60. doi:10.1007/s00256-014-1846-1 - Pubmed
- 3. Rotman M & Donovan J. Practical Anatomy of the Carpal Tunnel. Hand Clin. 2002;18(2):219-30. doi:10.1016/s0749-0712(01)00003-8 - Pubmed
- 4. Chummy S. Sinnatamby. Last's Anatomy. (2011) ISBN: 9780702033957 - Google Books
- 5. Keith L. Moore, Arthur F. Dalley, A. M. R. Agur. Clinically Oriented Anatomy. (2013) ISBN: 9781451119459 - Google Books
- 6. Bolles C, Abdella A, Battaglia P. Flexor Carpi Radialis Tenosynovitis Mimicking Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Diagnosed and Monitored with Ultrasound: Case Report. SN Compr Clin Med. 2020;2(6):797-801. doi:10.1007/s42399-020-00320-1]