Focal lymphoid hyperplasia of the lung
Focal lymphoid hyperplasia of the lung refers to an abnormal accumulation of non-malignant lymphocytic aggregates within the lung.
It iwas previously known as pulmonary pseudolymphoma.
Clinical features can vary from being asymptomatic to various symptoms such as wheeze, shortness of breath, chest pain and cough,
They can be solitary or multifocal 1. It is considered as a hyperplastic condition. There can be dense alveolar and peribronchial infiltration by numerous mature lymphocytes and plasma cells surrounding reactive lymphoid follicles with true germinal centres within the lung.
Histologically there can be similarities with lymphocytic interstitial pneumonia.
There can be range imaging manifestations. Typically it is seen as a solitary nodule or a focal area of consolidation 8. Multiple lesions may be seen and lesions span several centimetres in diameter.
Treatment and prognosis
They are mostly benign but can be difficult to differentiate from most sinister conditions. They can, however, rarely develop into malignant lymphoma later on.
lung cancer: overview
non small-cell lung cancer
- adenosquamous carcinoma
- large cell carcinoma
- primary sarcomatoid carcinoma of lung
- squamous cell carcinoma
- salivary gland type tumours
- pulmonary neuroendocrine tumours
- preinvasive lesions
- benign neoplasms
- pulmonary metastases
- lung cancer screening
- lung cancer staging
- non small-cell lung cancer
- 1. Holland EA, Ghahremani GG, Fry WA et-al. Evolution of pulmonary pseudolymphomas: clinical and radiologic manifestations. J Thorac Imaging. 1991;6 (4): 74-80. Pubmed citation
- 2. Kilgore TL, Chasen MH, Schultenover SJ. Pulmonary pseudolymphoma. South. Med. J. 1984;77 (10): 1320-2. Pubmed citation
- 3. Takeshita T, Miyaji N, Churei H et-al. A case of pulmonary pseudolymphoma: five years' roentgenographic observation. Radiat Med. 1996;13 (5): 243-6. Pubmed citation
- 4. Tsuzaka K, Akama H, Yamada H et-al. Pulmonary pseudolymphoma presented with a mass lesion in a patient with primary Sjögren's syndrome: beneficial effect of intermittent intravenous cyclophosphamide. Scand. J. Rheumatol. 1993;22 (2): 90-3. Pubmed citation
- 5. Shiota T, Chiba W, Ikeda S et-al. Gene analysis of pulmonary pseudolymphoma. Chest. 01;103 (2): 335-8. doi:10.1378/chest.103.2.335 - Pubmed citation
- 6. Schwartz MI, King TE. Interstitial Lung Disease, 5e. pmph usa. (2010) ISBN:1607950243. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 7. Churg AM, Myers JL, Tazelaar HD et-al. Thurlbeck's Pathology Of The Lung. Thieme. (2005) ISBN:1588902889. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 8. Webb WR, Higgins CB. Thoracic Imaging. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. (2010) ISBN:1605479764. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon