Focal lymphoid hyperplasia of the lung
Citation, DOI & article data
Focal lymphoid hyperplasia of the lung refers to an abnormal accumulation of non-malignant lymphocytic aggregates within the lung.
Focal lymphoid hyperplasia of the lung was previously known as pulmonary pseudolymphoma.
Clinical features of focal lymphoid hyperplasia of the lung can vary from being asymptomatic to various symptoms such as wheeze, shortness of breath, chest pain and cough.
Focal lymphoid hyperplasia of the lung may be solitary or multifocal 1. It is considered a hyperplastic condition. There can be dense alveolar and peribronchial infiltration by numerous mature lymphocytes and plasma cells surrounding reactive lymphoid follicles with true germinal centers within the lung.
Histologically, there can be similarities with lymphocytic interstitial pneumonia.
There can be a range of imaging manifestations of focal lymphoid hyperplasia of the lung. Typically it is seen as a solitary nodule or a focal area of consolidation 8. Multiple lesions may be seen and lesions span several centimeters in diameter.
Treatment and prognosis
Focal lymphoid hyperplasia of the lung is mostly benign but may be difficult to differentiate from more sinister conditions.
Focal lymphoid hyperplasia of the lung may rarely transform into lymphoma.
- 1. Holland EA, Ghahremani GG, Fry WA et-al. Evolution of pulmonary pseudolymphomas: clinical and radiologic manifestations. J Thorac Imaging. 1991;6 (4): 74-80. Pubmed citation
- 2. Kilgore TL, Chasen MH, Schultenover SJ. Pulmonary pseudolymphoma. South. Med. J. 1984;77 (10): 1320-2. Pubmed citation
- 3. Takeshita T, Miyaji N, Churei H et-al. A case of pulmonary pseudolymphoma: five years' roentgenographic observation. Radiat Med. 1996;13 (5): 243-6. Pubmed citation
- 4. Tsuzaka K, Akama H, Yamada H et-al. Pulmonary pseudolymphoma presented with a mass lesion in a patient with primary Sjögren's syndrome: beneficial effect of intermittent intravenous cyclophosphamide. Scand. J. Rheumatol. 1993;22 (2): 90-3. Pubmed citation
- 5. Shiota T, Chiba W, Ikeda S et-al. Gene analysis of pulmonary pseudolymphoma. Chest. 01;103 (2): 335-8. doi:10.1378/chest.103.2.335 - Pubmed citation
- 6. Schwartz MI, King TE. Interstitial Lung Disease, 5e. pmph usa. (2010) ISBN:1607950243. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 7. Churg AM, Myers JL, Tazelaar HD et-al. Thurlbeck's Pathology Of The Lung. Thieme. (2005) ISBN:1588902889. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 8. Webb WR, Higgins CB. Thoracic Imaging. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. (2010) ISBN:1605479764. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon