Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Craig Hacking had no recorded disclosures.View Craig Hacking's current disclosures
The foot series is comprised of a dorsoplantar (DP), medial oblique, and a lateral projection. The series is often utilized in emergency departments after trauma or sports related injuries 2,4.
See: approach to foot series.
Foot radiographs are performed for a variety of indications including 1-4:
- foot trauma
- bony tenderness at the base of the 5th metatarsal
- bony tenderness at the navicular bone
- inability to weight-bear more than four steps
- non-traumatic foot pain
- demonstrates the metatarsals in the natural anatomical position
- medial oblique
- weightbearing DP
- the lateral projection, however, weight-bearing. This projection is useful when observing how the structures of the foot perform under weight
- medial oblique projection to asses the talus
Depending on geography, the lateral foot projection may be considered an additional projection.