Gallbladder cholesterol polyps
Citation, DOI & article data
Gallbladder cholesterol polyps are the most common subtype of gallbladder polyps, representing more than 50% of all polyps. They are frequently seen in middle-aged women and are benign lesions, with no malignant potential.
For further details, please refer to the parental article on gallbladder polyps.
Cholesterol polyps appear as yellow, lobulated, and often pedunculated small lesions. They are usually multiple and, when diffuse, can lead to a strawberry gallbladder appearance.
Cholesterol polyps result from the deposition of cholesterol esters within the gallbladder wall lamina propria. This deposition results in polypoid lesions that are covered by a normal epithelium 1,2.
They present usually as multiple intraluminal gallbladder polypoid lesions 2,3:
- small: usually 1 to 2 mm, but always <10 mm
- round or slightly lobulated
- adherent to the wall, non-mobile with changes in the decubitus
- no posterior shadow
- comet tail artifact 4
- 1. Levy AD, Murakata LA, Abbott RM et-al. From the archives of the AFIP. Benign tumors and tumorlike lesions of the gallbladder and extrahepatic bile ducts: radiologic-pathologic correlation. Armed Forces Institute of Pathology. Radiographics. 22 (2): 387-413. Radiographics (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 2. Argha Chatterjee, Camila Lopes Vendrami, Paul Nikolaidis, Pardeep K. Mittal, Andrew J. Bandy, Christine O. Menias, Nancy A. Hammond, Vahid Yaghmai, Guang-Yu Yang, Frank H. Miller. Uncommon Intraluminal Tumors of the Gallbladder and Biliary Tract: Spectrum of Imaging Appearances. (2019) RadioGraphics. 39 (2): 388-412. doi:10.1148/rg.2019180164 - Pubmed
- 3. Vincent M. Mellnick, Christine O. Menias, Kumar Sandrasegaran, Amy K. Hara, Ania Z. Kielar, Elizabeth M. Brunt, Maria B. Majella Doyle, Nirvikar Dahiya, Khaled M. Elsayes. Polypoid Lesions of the Gallbladder: Disease Spectrum with Pathologic Correlation. (2015) RadioGraphics. 35 (2): 387-99. doi:10.1148/rg.352140095 - Pubmed
- 4. Rebecca Wiles, Ruedi F. Thoeni, Sorin Traian Barbu, Yogesh K. Vashist, Søren Rafael Rafaelsen, Catherine Dewhurst, Marianna Arvanitakis, Max Lahaye, Marek Soltes, Julie Perinel, Stuart Ashley Roberts. Management and follow-up of gallbladder polyps. (2017) European Radiology. 27 (9): 3856. doi:10.1007/s00330-017-4742-y - Pubmed