Gallium-68 DOTATATE (or Ga-68 DOTATATE) is a PET radiotracer that is useful for evaluating primary and metastatic well-differentiated neuroendocrine tumors. It is a form of somatostatin-receptor (SSTR) functional imaging and most often combined with cross-sectional imaging in the form of PET-CT.
Gallium-68 DOTATATE is synthesized from three main components:
- gallium (Ga) radiotracer
- linked, via a chemical chelator, known as tetraazacyclododecane-tetraacetic acid (DOTA)
- to the short-chain peptide Tyr3-octreotate (TATE)
There are other forms:
- DOTATOC: DOTA-d-Phe1-Tyr3-octreotide
- DOTANOC: DOTA-1-Nal3-octreotide
These have an affinity for different somatostatin receptors, SSTR subtypes 3 and 5 and SSTR subtype 5, respectively 3.
There is normal Ga-68 DOTATATE uptake in the pituitary gland, spleen, liver, adrenal glands, and urinary tract 4,5.
The salivary glands and thyroid show faint to mild homogeneous uptake 4,5.
- 1. Deppen SA, Liu E, Blume JD, Clanton J, Shi C, Jones-Jackson LB, Lakhani V, Baum RP, Berlin J, Smith GT, Graham M, Sandler MP, Delbeke D, Walker RC. Safety and Efficacy of 68Ga-DOTATATE PET/CT for Diagnosis, Staging, and Treatment Management of Neuroendocrine Tumors. (2016) Journal of nuclear medicine : official publication, Society of Nuclear Medicine. 57 (5): 708-14. doi:10.2967/jnumed.115.163865 - Pubmed
- 2. Antunes P, Ginj M, Zhang H, Waser B, Baum RP, Reubi JC, Maecke H. Are radiogallium-labelled DOTA-conjugated somatostatin analogues superior to those labelled with other radiometals?. (2007) European journal of nuclear medicine and molecular imaging. 34 (7): 982-93. doi:10.1007/s00259-006-0317-x - Pubmed
- 3. Sanli Y, Garg I, Kandathil A, Kendi T, Zanetti MJB, Kuyumcu S, Subramaniam RM. Neuroendocrine Tumor Diagnosis and Management: Ga-DOTATATE PET/CT. (2018) AJR. American journal of roentgenology. 211 (2): 267-277. doi:10.2214/AJR.18.19881 - Pubmed
- 4. Kuyumcu S, Özkan ZG, Sanli Y, Yilmaz E, Mudun A, Adalet I, Unal S. Physiological and tumoral uptake of (68)Ga-DOTATATE: standardized uptake values and challenges in interpretation. (2013) Annals of nuclear medicine. 27 (6): 538-45. doi:10.1007/s12149-013-0718-4 - Pubmed
- 5. Hofman MS, Lau WF, Hicks RJ. Somatostatin receptor imaging with 68Ga DOTATATE PET/CT: clinical utility, normal patterns, pearls, and pitfalls in interpretation. (2015) Radiographics : a review publication of the Radiological Society of North America, Inc. 35 (2): 500-16. doi:10.1148/rg.352140164 - Pubmed