Gastric outlet obstruction
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Ian Bickle had no recorded disclosures.View Ian Bickle's current disclosures
Gastric outlet obstruction, also known as pyloric obstruction, occurs when a disease or condition blocks the normal emptying of the stomach.
Gastric outlet obstruction can be due to malignant or benign causes.
adenocarcinoma (second most common 4)
lymphoma (less common than other malignancies as it is a "soft" tumor 1)
duodenal or gastric peptic ulcers (most common 3,4)
strictures, e.g. from caustic substance ingestion
- 1. Horton K & Fishman E. Current Role of CT in Imaging of the Stomach. Radiographics. 2003;23(1):75-87. doi:10.1148/rg.231025071 - Pubmed
- 2. Ba-Ssalamah A, Prokop M, Uffmann M, Pokieser P, Teleky B, Lechner G. Dedicated Multidetector CT of the Stomach: Spectrum of Diseases. Radiographics. 2003;23(3):625-44. doi:10.1148/rg.233025127 - Pubmed
- 3. Gastrointestinal Radiology: A Pattern Approach. (2002) ISBN: 0781737060 - Google Books
- 4. Richard M. Gore, Marc S. Levine. Textbook of Gastrointestinal Radiology. (2021) ISBN: 9780323640824 - Google Books
- 5. Wolfgang Dähnert. Radiology Review Manual. (2011) ISBN: 9781609139438 - Google Books