Haemangiopericytoma of the spleen
Haemangiopericytomas of the spleen are a very rare vascular neoplasm with only a few case reports available at the time of writing.
Splenic haemangiopericytomas are typically asymptomatic or can result in splenomegaly.
These are a soft tissue vascular neoplasm arising from capillary pericytes 1. It is often characterised as having variable biologic behaviour, but it is regarded as a tumor that may have very high malignant potential 3.
Since the tumours are very rare, with only occasional case reports describing the imaging findings.
- a large splenic mass with polylobular contours
- smaller disseminated lesions throughout the spleen 3
Speckled calcification may be seen on CT scans, and contrast-enhanced studies may show discrete hyperattenuation of solid portions and septation.
History and etymology
It was first reported by Guadalajara Jurado et al in 1989 4.
- normal appearance of the spleen
- pseudolesion of the spleen: inhomogeneous splenic enhancement
splenic lesions and anomalies
- congenital anomalies
- mass lesions
- infiltrative processes
- incidental splenic lesion (approach)
- 1. Kumar M, Tripathi K, Khanna R et-al. Hemangiopericytoma of the spleen: unusual presentation as multiple abscess. World J Surg Oncol. 2005;3 : 77. doi:10.1186/1477-7819-3-77 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 2. Ciftci AO, Gedikoğlu G, Firat PA et-al. Childhood splenic hemangiopericytoma: a previously unreported entity. J. Pediatr. Surg. 1999;34 (12): 1884-6. J. Pediatr. Surg. (link) - Pubmed citation
- 3. Abbott RM, Levy AD, Aguilera NS et-al. From the archives of the AFIP: primary vascular neoplasms of the spleen: radiologic-pathologic correlation. Radiographics. 24 (4): 1137-63. doi:10.1148/rg.244045006 - Pubmed citation
- 4. Guadalajara jurado J, Turégano fuentes F, García menendez C et-al. Hemangiopericytoma of the spleen. Surgery. 1989;106 (3): 575-7. - Pubmed citation
- 5. Neill JS, Park HK. Hemangiopericytoma of the spleen. Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 1991;95 (5): 680-3. - Pubmed citation
- 6. Ferrozzi F, Bova D, Draghi F et-al. CT findings in primary vascular tumors of the spleen. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1996;166 (5): 1097-101. AJR Am J Roentgenol (citation) - Pubmed citation