Hairy cell leukemia
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Yuranga Weerakkody had no recorded disclosures.View Yuranga Weerakkody's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Daniel J Bell had no recorded disclosures.View Daniel J Bell's current disclosures
Hairy cell leukemia is a rare and indolent form of small mature B-cell leukaemias.
Its annual incidence is estimated at around 0.3 cases per 100 000, and the disease comprises 2-3% of all leukaemias. There is a recognized male predilection of around 4:1 with a median age of around 55 years.
Skeletal lesions uncommonly occur (~3% of cases) and when they do are commonly lytic with the most common sites of involvement being the femoral head and neck 5. Skeletal involvement is typically associated with high tumor burden and bone marrow infiltration.
Two main subtypes have been described
Treatment and prognosis
The combination of cladribine and pentostatin, either single or combined, with an anti-CD20 monoclonal antibody achieved stable results 7.
- 1. Thompson JA, Shields AF, Porter BA, Olson DO, Rubin E, Kidd P, Fefer A. Magnetic resonance imaging of bone marrow in hairy cell leukemia: correlation with clinical response to alpha-interferon. (1987) Leukemia. 1 (4): 315-6. Pubmed
- 2. Silingardi V, Davolio-Marani S, Federico M, Piccinini L, Frassoldati A, Sarti M, Burani A, Canossi G. Bone marrow infiltration in hairy cell leukemia after interferon therapy detected by magnetic resonance imaging. (1989) European journal of cancer & clinical oncology. 25 (2): 209-13. doi:10.1016/0277-5379(89)90010-2 - Pubmed
- 3. Libshitz HI, Shuman LS, Gresik MV, Heaston DK. Pneumonia in hairy-cell leukemia. (1981) Radiology. 139 (1): 19-24. doi:10.1148/radiology.139.1.7208921 - Pubmed
- 4. Durot E, Quinquenel A, Kleiber JC, Patey M, Bazin A, Delmer A. Skeletal involvement of hairy cell leukemia. (2018) Clinical case reports. 6 (8): 1651-1652. doi:10.1002/ccr3.1635 - Pubmed
- 5. Herold CJ, Wittich GR, Schwarzinger I, Haller J, Chott A, Mostbeck G, Hajek PC. Skeletal involvement in hairy cell leukemia. (1988) Skeletal radiology. 17 (3): 171-5. doi:10.1007/BF00351002 - Pubmed
- 6. Peterson C, Kaplan PA, Lorenzen KM. Case report 410: Hairy cell leukemia infiltrating the femora. (1987) Skeletal radiology. 16 (1): 82-6. doi:10.1007/BF00349936 - Pubmed
- 7. Grever MR, Abdel-Wahab O, Andritsos LA, Banerji V, Barrientos J, Blachly JS, Call TG, Catovsky D, Dearden C, Demeter J, Else M, Forconi F, Gozzetti A, Ho AD, Johnston JB, Jones J, Juliusson G, Kraut E, Kreitman RJ, Larratt L, Lauria F, Lozanski G, Montserrat E, Parikh SA, Park JH, Polliack A, Quest GR, Rai KR, Ravandi F, Robak T, Saven A, Seymour JF, Tadmor T, Tallman MS, Tam C, Tiacci E, Troussard X, Zent CS, Zenz T, Zinzani PL, Falini B. Consensus guidelines for the diagnosis and management of patients with classic hairy cell leukemia. (2017) Blood. 129 (5): 553-560. doi:10.1182/blood-2016-01-689422 - Pubmed