Hepatic inflammatory pseudotumors (IPT), also known as xanthogranulomas or plasma cell granulomas of the liver, are rare benign hepatic lesions.
Most common in young adults with males affected more than females 7.
Etiology is unknown 7.
Hepatic inflammatory pseudotumor is often seen as a well-circumscribed, encapsulated inflammatory mass.
Hepatic inflammatory pseudotumor is characterized by a large population of polyclonal plasma cells with a variable amount of fibrosis, foamy histiocytes, and other chronic inflammatory cells 2.
Radiological findings of hepatic inflammatory pseudotumor are not characteristic and definitive diagnosis requires needle biopsy (sometimes insufficient 7) or surgery 3.
In most reported cases, they appear as hypoattenuating masses with a variable degree of hepatic enhancement 2.
- T1: hypointense
- T2: hyperintense
- T1C+: heterogeneous enhancement 7
- 1. Ueda J, Yoshida H, Taniai N et-al. Inflammatory pseudotumor in the liver associated with intrahepatic bile duct stones mimicking malignancy. J Nihon Med Sch. 2009;76 (3): 154-9. J Nihon Med Sch (link) - Pubmed citation
- 2. Yoon KH, Ha HK, Lee JS et-al. Inflammatory pseudotumor of the liver in patients with recurrent pyogenic cholangitis: CT-histopathologic correlation. Radiology. 1999;211 (2): 373-9. Radiology (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 3. Lim JH, Lee JH. Inflammatory pseudotumor of the liver. Ultrasound and CT features. Clin Imaging. 19 (1): 43-6. Clin Imaging (link) - Pubmed citation
- 4. Fukuya T, Honda H, Matsumata T et-al. Diagnosis of inflammatory pseudotumor of the liver: value of CT. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1994;163 (5): 1087-91. AJR Am J Roentgenol (abstract) - Pubmed citation
- 5. Tublin ME, Moser AJ, Marsh JW et-al. Biliary inflammatory pseudotumor: imaging features in seven patients. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2007;188 (1): W44-8. doi:10.2214/AJR.05.0985 - Pubmed citation
- 6. Nam KJ, Kang HK, Lim JH. Inflammatory pseudotumor of the liver: CT and sonographic findings. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1996;167 (2): 485-7. AJR Am J Roentgenol (citation) - Pubmed citation
- 7. Patnana M, Sevrukov AB, Elsayes KM et-al. Inflammatory pseudotumor: the great mimicker. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2012;198 (3): W217-27. doi:10.2214/AJR.11.7288 - Pubmed citation