A hepatic lipoma is a rare, usually asymptomatic, benign lesion of the liver.
They may be composed purely of fat cells, or they may be mixed with adenomatous, angiomatous or myomatous tissue, resulting in lesions such as adenolipoma, angiomyolipoma or myelolipoma5.
Mostly found as isolated entities 6 and range from 1 to 6 cm in diameter.
Typically, a lipoma is seen as a well defined, solid hyperechoic intrahepatic mass lesion with variable distal acoustic shadow.
Focal displacement and discontinuity of the diaphragm deep to the lipoma may be seen due to slower sound speed in fat tissue compared to normal liver tissue and refraction of sound beam.7
Hepatic lipoma is a rounded lesion with attenuation corresponding to fat (-20 to -70 HU). No soft tissue component or enhancement is visible in a pure hepatic lipoma.
Rounded lesion with typical fat signal characteristics:
- T1: high signal
- fat suppressed sequences: shows fat suppression
- 1. Shin HJ, Kim HH, Kim SM et-al. Imaging features of metaplastic carcinoma with chondroid differentiation of the breast. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2007;188 (3): 691-6. doi:10.2214/AJR.05.0831 - Pubmed citation
- 2. Kakitsubata Y, Nakamura R, Shiba T et-al. Lipoma of the falciform ligament: US, CT, and MRI appearances. Clin Imaging. 17 (1): 27-9. - Pubmed citation
- 3. Langsteger W, Lind P, Schneider GH et-al. Lipoma of the liver: computed tomographic, ultrasonographic, and cytologic findings. Scand. J. Gastroenterol. 1990;25 (3): 302-6. - Pubmed citation
- 4. Prasad SR, Wang H, Rosas H et-al. Fat-containing lesions of the liver: radiologic-pathologic correlation. Radiographics. 25 (2): 321-31. doi:10.1148/rg.252045083 - Pubmed citation
- 5. Vassiliades VG, Bree RL, Korobkin M. Focal and diffuse benign hepatic disease: correlative imaging. Semin. Ultrasound CT MR. 1992;13 (5): 313-35. Pubmed citation
- 6. Roberts JL, Fishman EK, Hartman DS et-al. Lipomatous tumors of the liver: evaluation with CT and US. Radiology. 1986;158 (3): 613-7. Radiology (abstract) - Pubmed citation
- 7. Martí-Bonmatí L, Menor F, Vizcaino I et-al. Lipoma of the liver: US, CT, and MRI appearance. Gastrointest Radiol. 1989;14 (2): 155-7. Pubmed citation