HER-2 mutations in lung cancer
Human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER-2) mutations may be detected in approximately 3% of lung adenocarcinomas 1.
Early studies have attempted to at lung adenocarcinomas with HER2 gene mutation which have suggested HER2-mutant tumors exhibit more aggressive features in general and tend to
- exhibit a locally-invasive behavior compared with KRAS-mutant tumors 3
- show preponderance for pleural retractions compared with KRAS- and EGFR-mutant tumors 3
- present with greater nodal metastatic spread compared KRAS-mutant tumors 3.
- 1. Pillai RN, Behera M, Berry LD, Rossi MR, Kris MG, Johnson BE, Bunn PA, Ramalingam SS, Khuri FR. HER2 mutations in lung adenocarcinomas: A report from the Lung Cancer Mutation Consortium. (2017) Cancer. 123 (21): 4099-4105. doi:10.1002/cncr.30869 - Pubmed
- 2. Shigematsu H, Takahashi T, Nomura M, Majmudar K, Suzuki M, Lee H, Wistuba II, Fong KM, Toyooka S, Shimizu N, Fujisawa T, Minna JD, Gazdar AF. Somatic mutations of the HER2 kinase domain in lung adenocarcinomas. (2005) Cancer research. 65 (5): 1642-6. doi:10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-04-4235 - Pubmed
- 3. Sawan P, Plodkowski AJ, Li AE, Li BT, Drilon A, Capanu M, Ginsberg MS. CT features of HER2-mutant lung adenocarcinomas. (2018) Clinical imaging. 51: 279-283. doi:10.1016/j.clinimag.2018.05.028 - Pubmed
- 4. Shan L, Qiu T, Ling Y, Guo L, Zheng B, Wang B, Li W, Li L, Ying J. Prevalence and Clinicopathological Characteristics of HER2 and BRAF Mutation in Chinese Patients with Lung Adenocarcinoma. (2015) PloS one. 10 (6): e0130447. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0130447 - Pubmed