Hinchey classification of acute diverticulitis
Edward John Hinchey et al. 3 proposed a classification for acute diverticulitis, that has been variously adapted, and is useful not only in academia but also in outlining successive stages of severity.
- stage Ia: phlegmon
- stage Ib: diverticulitis with pericolic or mesenteric abscess
- stage II: diverticulitis with walled off pelvic abscess
- stage III: diverticulitis with generalized purulent peritonitis
- stage IV: diverticulitis with generalized fecal peritonitis
- 1. Bordeianou Liliana and Richard Hodin. “Controversies in the Surgical Management of Sigmoid Diverticulitis.” Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery 11, no. 4 (April 2007): 542–548. doi:10.1007/s11605-007-0126-y.
- 2. Hussain Abdulzahra, Hind Mahmood, Gokulakkrishna Subhas and Shamsi EL-Hasani. “Complicated diverticular disease of the colon, do we need to change the classical approach, a retrospective study of 110 patients in southeast England.” World journal of emergency surgery : WJES 3 (2008): 5. doi:10.1186/1749-7922-3-5.
- 3. Hinchey EJ, Schaal PG, Richards GK. Treatment of perforated diverticular disease of the colon. Adv Surg. 1979;12: 85-109. Pubmed citation