Citation, DOI & article data
Holocord presentation refers to a process which involves the spinal cord, from cervicomedullary junction to the tip of the conus. It does not relate to a specific condition nor does it distinguish between involvement by cystic expansion or solid tumor, or by a combination of both. It merely denotes that the whole cord is involved.
It is seen in a variety of conditions, most commonly comprising a significant syrinx component, although occasionally holocord involvement by tumor is encountered 5. Generally this is seen in young patients (children and young adults) 5.
- syringohydromyelia (syrinx) without tumor e.g. chiari 1 malformation
- intramedullary spinal cord tumors
History and etymology
The word comes from Greek "holo-" meaning "whole" or "entire" and not from hollow, as is sometimes erroneously thought to be the case 1.
- 1. Dorland. Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary E-Book. Saunders. (2011) ISBN:1455709859. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 2. Pagni C, Canavero S, Gaidolfi E. Intramedullary “holocord” oligodendroglioma: Case report. Acta neurochir. 1991;113 (1-2): 96-99. Read relevant article. Accessed on 14/04/2016
- 3. Bhaisora KS, Sharma P, Srivastava AK et-al. Single staged complete length excision of the holocord ependymoma: Team work. J Pediatr Neurosci. 2015;10 (4): 396-8. doi:10.4103/1817-1745.174450 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 4. Sarikaya S, Acikgöz B, Tekkök IH et-al. Conus ependymoma with holocord syringohydromyelia and syringobulbia. J Clin Neurosci. 2007;14 (9): 901-4. doi:10.1016/j.jocn.2006.06.005 - Pubmed citation
- 5. Irikura T, Johki T, Tanaka H et-al. Holocord astrocytoma-case report. Neurol. Med. Chir. (Tokyo). 1991;30 (12): 966-71. Pubmed citation
- 6. Pai SB, Krishna KN. Secondary holocord syringomyelia with spinal hemangioblastoma: a report of two cases. Neurol India. 2003;51 (1): 67-8. Pubmed citation
- Patel U, Pinto RS, Miller DC et-al. MR of spinal cord ganglioglioma. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 1998;19 (5): 879-87. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol (abstract) - Pubmed citation