Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Behrang Amini had no recorded disclosures.View Behrang Amini's current disclosures
Honeycombing is a CT imaging descriptor referring to clustered cystic air spaces (between 3 and 10 mm in diameter, but occasionally as large as 2.5 cm) that are usually subpleural, peripheral, and basal in distribution. They can be subdivided into:
Honeycombing consists of enlarged air spaces with thick fibrotic walls lined by bronchiolar epithelium and often filled with mucin and inflammatory cells 6.
History and etymology
The term “honeycomb lung” is thought to have originated in the 19th century in Germany and is thought to have first appeared in 1949 in a study by N Oswald and T Parkinson 5.
- 1. Austin J, Müller N, Friedman P et al. Glossary of Terms for CT of the Lungs: Recommendations of the Nomenclature Committee of the Fleischner Society. Radiology. 1996;200(2):327-31. doi:10.1148/radiology.200.2.8685321 - Pubmed
- 2. Mueller-Mang C, Grosse C, Schmid K, Stiebellehner L, Bankier A. What Every Radiologist Should Know About Idiopathic Interstitial Pneumonias. Radiographics. 2007;27(3):595-615. doi:10.1148/rg.273065130 - Pubmed
- 3. Arakawa H & Honma K. Honeycomb Lung: History and Current Concepts. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2011;196(4):773-82. doi:10.2214/AJR.10.4873 - Pubmed
- 4. Watadani T, Sakai F, Johkoh T et al. Interobserver Variability in the CT Assessment of Honeycombing in the Lungs. Radiology. 2013;266(3):936-44. doi:10.1148/radiol.12112516 - Pubmed
- 5. Johkoh T, Sakai F, Noma S et al. Honeycombing on CT; Its Definition, Pathologic Correlation, and Future Direction of Its Diagnosis. Eur J Radiol. 2014;83(1):27-31. doi:10.1016/j.ejrad.2013.05.012 - Pubmed
- 6. Wuyts W, Cavazza A, Rossi G, Bonella F, Sverzellati N, Spagnolo P. Differential Diagnosis of Usual Interstitial Pneumonia: When is It Truly Idiopathic? Eur Respir Rev. 2014;23(133):308-19. doi:10.1183/09059180.00004914 - Pubmed
- 7. Nishino M, Itoh H, Hatabu H. A Practical Approach to High-Resolution CT of Diffuse Lung Disease. Eur J Radiol. 2014;83(1):6-19. doi:10.1016/j.ejrad.2012.12.028 - Pubmed
- 8. Baik J, Ko J, Park H. Pitfalls in Radiographic Interpretation of Emphysema Patients. Can Assoc Radiol J. 2016;67(3):277-83. doi:10.1016/j.carj.2015.09.015 - Pubmed