This condition has been known by many other names in the past, such as IgG4-related sclerosing disease, IgG4-related systemic disease, IgG4-related systemic sclerosing disease, IgG4-syndrome, and IgG4-associated disease, however a consensus in 2012 agreed upon the use of IgG4-related disease.
IgG4 related diseases are more common in middle age or elderly males.
Clinical manifestations are apparent in the pancreas, biliary tree, gallbladder, salivary gland, retroperitoneum, kidney, lung, pituitary gland, and prostate, in which tissue fibrosis with obliterative phlebitis is pathologically induced. These organ systems may be either synchronously or sequentially involved.
The disease spectrum can include:
- head and neck
- 1. Vlachou PA, Khalili K, Jang HJ et-al. IgG4-related sclerosing disease: autoimmune pancreatitis and extrapancreatic manifestations. Radiographics. 31 (5): 1379-402. doi:10.1148/rg.315105735 - Pubmed citation
- 2. Takuma K, Kamisawa T, Igarashi Y. Autoimmune pancreatitis and IgG4-related sclerosing cholangitis. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2011;23 (1): 80-7. doi:10.1097/BOR.0b013e3283412f60 - Pubmed citation
- 3. Kamisawa T, Okamoto A. IgG4-related sclerosing disease. World J. Gastroenterol. 2008;14 (25): 3948-55. World J. Gastroenterol. (link) - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 4. Nishimori I, Otsuki M. Autoimmune pancreatitis and IgG4-associated sclerosing cholangitis. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol. 2009;23 (1): 11-23. doi:10.1016/j.bpg.2008.11.017 - Pubmed citation
- 5. Horger M, Lamprecht HG, Bares R et-al. Systemic IgG4-related sclerosing disease: spectrum of imaging findings and differential diagnosis. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2012;199 (3): W276-82. doi:10.2214/AJR.11.8321 - Pubmed citation
- 6. Stone JH, Khosroshahi A, Deshpande V, Chan JK, Heathcote JG, Aalberse R, Azumi A, Bloch DB, Brugge WR, Carruthers MN, Cheuk W, Cornell L, Castillo CF, Ferry JA, Forcione D, Klöppel G, Hamilos DL, Kamisawa T, Kasashima S, Kawa S, Kawano M, Masaki Y, Notohara K, Okazaki K, Ryu JK, Saeki T, Sahani D, Sato Y, Smyrk T, Stone JR, Takahira M, Umehara H, Webster G, Yamamoto M, Yi E, Yoshino T, Zamboni G, Zen Y, Chari S. Recommendations for the nomenclature of IgG4-related disease and its individual organ system manifestations. Arthritis and rheumatism. 64 (10): 3061-7. doi:10.1002/art.34593 - Pubmed