Ileal ureter interposition
Citation, DOI and article data
Ileal ureter interpositions are uncommon urologic reconstructions, using a loop of small bowel to replace a damaged ureter. The concept is similar to the formation of a neobladder from small bowel (e.g. ileal conduit), except one is forming a neo-ureter.
Variants include using colon as an interposition or creating a Roux-en-Y conduit 3-4.
An ileal ureter interposition can be evaluated with
Some advocate cystography as the best mode of evaluation 1.
Treatment and prognosis
Complications of an ileal ureter interposition include mucus and stone formation in the ileal interposition.
- 1. Pollack HM, McClennan BL, Dyer RB et-al. Clinical urography. Saunders. ISBN:0721669352. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 2. Ordorica R, Wiegand LR, Webster JC et-al. Ureteral replacement and onlay repair with reconfigured intestinal segments. J. Urol. 2014;191 (5): 1301-6. doi:10.1016/j.juro.2013.11.027 - Pubmed citation
- 3. Pope J, Koch MO. Ureteral replacement with reconfigured colon substitute. J. Urol. 1996;155 (5): 1693-5. Pubmed citation
- 4. Deeweerd JH. Urologic dilemmas resolved by the ileal conduit. JAMA. 1998;178: 983-8. Pubmed citation
- 5. Cordonnier JJ, Nicolai CH. An evaluation of the use of an isolated segment of ileum as a means of urinary diversion. J. Urol. 1998;83: 834-8. Pubmed citation