Inferior lateral genicular artery
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Joachim Feger had no recorded disclosures.View Joachim Feger's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Joachim Feger had no recorded disclosures.View Joachim Feger's current disclosures
The inferior lateral genicular artery (ILGA) is the lateral counterpart of the inferior medial genicular artery and supplies the inferolateral structures of the knee and the patella.
On this page:
- location: knee
- origin: popliteal artery
- branches: cutaneous perforating branches
- supply: inferolateral aspect of the knee, patella
The inferior lateral genicular artery originates from the popliteal artery and courses laterally beneath the lateral head of the gastrocnemius muscle, the biceps femoris tendon and the lateral collateral ligament at the level of the lateral meniscus above the fibular head 1,2. It also passes beneath and the anterolateral ligament of the knee into the Hoffa fat pad, where it anastomoses with the inferior medial genicular artery 2.
It provides cutaneous perforating branches supplying the skin.
It anastomoses with the following arteries:
- circumflex fibular artery
- anterior recurrent tibial artery
- superior lateral genicular artery
- inferior medial genicular artery
The inferior medial genicular artery participates in the supply of the following structures 1,2:
- lateral tibial condyle
- posterolateral ligamentous complex
- patella and patellar tendon
- Hoffa fat pad
- anterior cruciate ligament
Due to its course within the posterolateral ligamentous complex of the knee, the inferior lateral genicular artery is at risk of injury in the setting of a posterolateral corner injury. It is also susceptible to iatrogenic injury during different forms of knee surgery 4,5.
- 1. Hirtler L, Lübbers A, Rath C. Vascular Coverage of the Anterior Knee Region – an Anatomical Study. J Anat. 2019;235(2):289-98. doi:10.1111/joa.13004 - Pubmed
- 2. Patel K, Chhabra A, Goodwin J, Hartigan D. Identification of the Anterolateral Ligament on Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Arthroscopy Techniques. 2017;6(1):e137-41. doi:10.1016/j.eats.2016.09.015 - Pubmed
- 3. Frank H. Netter. Atlas of Human Anatomy. (2018) ISBN: 9780323393225 - Google Books
- 4. Lamo-Espinosa J, Llombart Blanco R, Valentí J. Inferior Lateral Genicular Artery Injury During Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction Surgery. Case Reports in Surgery. 2012;2012:1-3. doi:10.1155/2012/457198 - Pubmed
- 5. DeBell H, Pinter Z, Pinto M et al. Vascular Supply at Risk During Lateral Release of the Patella During Total Knee Arthroplasty: A Cadaveric Study. Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics and Trauma. 2019;10(1):107-10. doi:10.1016/j.jcot.2017.11.009 - Pubmed