Infrapatellar bursitis occurs with inflammation of bursae around the insertion of the distal patellar tendon. The inflamed bursa may be:
- superficial/subcutaneous: anterior to the distal patellar tendon
- deep: posterior to the distal patellar tendon, in the region of the infrapatellar fat pad (Hoffa's fat pad).
Inflammation of an infrapatellar bursa is well detected on either targeted musculoskeletal ultrasound or on MRI.
Infrapatellar bursitis may be a component of Osgood-Schlatter disease.
Ultrasound - musculoskeletal
- ultrasound (introduction)
- shoulder ultrasound
- elbow ultrasound
- wrist ultrasound
- hand ultrasound
- hip ultrasound
- knee ultrasound
- ankle/foot ultrasound
- paediatric musculoskeletal ultrasound
- skin/soft tissue ultrasound
- ultrasound of arthropathies