Inspissated colloid (colloid crystals) in a thyroid nodule leads to focal hyperechogenic foci, which can potentially be confused with microcalcifications.
- hyperechoic focus in a thyroid nodule
reverberation artifact / comet-tail artifact
- this feature is the most reliable in differentiating inspissated colloid from microcalcifications
Inspissated colloid can vary in size and tend to be larger than microcalcifications, however, there is overlap in size between the two entities.
Treatment and prognosis
Differentiation between inspissated colloid and microcalcifications in a thyroid nodule is important. Inspissated colloid is not associated with malignancy and fine needle aspiration (FNA) is unnecessary. Microcalcifications are associated with papillary thyroid cancer and FNA is almost always indicated for nodules with microcalcifications.
- 1. Haugen BR, Alexander EK, Bible KC, Doherty GM, Mandel SJ, Nikiforov YE, Pacini F, Randolph GW, Sawka AM, Schlumberger M, Schuff KG, Sherman SI, Sosa JA, Steward DL, Tuttle RM, Wartofsky L. 2015 American Thyroid Association Management Guidelines for Adult Patients with Thyroid Nodules and Differentiated Thyroid Cancer: The American Thyroid Association Guidelines Task Force on Thyroid Nodules and Differentiated Thyroid Cancer. Thyroid : official journal of the American Thyroid Association. 26 (1): 1-133. doi:10.1089/thy.2015.0020 - Pubmed
- 2. Henrichsen TL, Reading CC. Thyroid ultrasonography. Part 2: nodules. Radiologic clinics of North America. 49 (3): 417-24, v. doi:10.1016/j.rcl.2011.02.003 - Pubmed
- 3. Mira Milas, Susan Mandel, Jill E. Langer. Advanced Thyroid and Parathyroid Ultrasound. (2016) ISBN: 9783319440989
Related Radiopaedia articles
- thyroid inflammatory disease
- thyroid neoplasm
- thyroid nodules
assessment of thyroid lesions
- incidental thyroid nodules
ultrasound assessment of thyroid lesions
- American Thyroid Association (ATA) guidelines
- British Thyroid Association (BTA) U classification
- McGill thyroid nodule score
- Society of Radiologists in Ultrasound (SRU) guidelines
- postoperative assessment after thyroid cancer surgery
- ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration of the thyroid
- assessment of thyroid lesions