Interpectoral lymph node
Citation, DOI and article data
Interpectoral lymph nodes, also known as Rotter lymph nodes, are located in the interpectoral fascia in Rotter space, between the pectoralis major and pectoralis minor muscles. Their number varies from one to four. They are usually considered to be a separate nodal group from the level I and II axillary nodes.
Interpectoral nodes can be seen on CT, even when not enlarged, as first described in 1987 6.
History and etymology
The Rotter space and nodes are named after the German surgeon Josef Rotter (1857-1924) who described the nodes in an 1899 article describing findings in post radical mastectomy specimens 4,5. Although like many other eponyms they were first described in the literature by someone else (Stigler's law of eponymy) 7, in this case, three years earlier by F Grossman 2.
Breast cancer can metastasize to these nodes and they may be positive even in the absence of disease in level I or II axillary nodes. Although uncommon, breast cancer can also initially recur to these nodes.
- 1. Ecanow JS, Abe H, Newstead GM, Ecanow DB, Jeske JM. Axillary staging of breast cancer: what the radiologist should know. (2013) Radiographics : a review publication of the Radiological Society of North America, Inc. 33 (6): 1589-612. doi:10.1148/rg.336125060 - Pubmed
- 2. Komenaka IK, Bauer VP, Schnabel FR, Joseph KA, Horowitz E, Ditkoff BA, El-Tamer MB. Interpectoral nodes as the initial site of recurrence in breast cancer. (2004) Archives of surgery (Chicago, Ill. : 1960). 139 (2): 175-8. doi:10.1001/archsurg.139.2.175 - Pubmed
- 3. Dixon JM, Dobie V, Chetty U. The importance of interpectoral nodes in breast cancer. (1993) European journal of cancer (Oxford, England : 1990). 29A (3): 334-6. doi:10.1016/0959-8049(93)90379-t - Pubmed
- 4. Cody HS, Egeli RA, Urban JA. Rotter's node metastases. Therapeutic and prognostic considerations in early breast carcinoma. (1984) Annals of surgery. 199 (3): 266-70. doi:10.1097/00000658-198403000-00003 - Pubmed
- 5. Tor Wo Chiu. Stone’s Plastic Surgery Facts: A Revision Guide, Fourth Edition. (2018) ISBN: 9781351734806
- 6. Holbert BL, Holbert JM, Libshitz HI. CT of interpectoral lymph nodes. (1987) AJR. American journal of roentgenology. 149 (4): 687-8. doi:10.2214/ajr.149.4.687 - Pubmed
- 7. STIGLER'S LAW OF EPONYMY*. (1980) Transactions of the New York Academy of Sciences. 39 (1 Series II): 147. doi:10.1111/j.2164-0947.1980.tb02775.x