Citation, DOI & article data
Interstitial cystitis, also known as bladder pain syndrome, refers to an inflammatory condition affecting the bladder. It is usually defined as urinary bladder pain and irritative symptoms of more than six months duration. It usually represents a diagnosis of exclusion. Traditionally, it has been defined as a chronic sterile inflammatory disease of the bladder of unknown etiology 3.
It tends to commonly occur in young to middle-aged women 1. The RAND Interstitial Cystitis Epidemiology (RICE) study in 2011 surveyed women in approximately 150,000 United States households and concluded that up to 6.5% have symptoms of interstitial cystitis 4.
Its exact etiology is uncertain. Proposed theories of pathogenesis are wide and include chronic/subclinical infection, autoimmune phenomena, neurogenic inflammation, or bladder urothelial defects.
DWI: may show diffuse restriction in bladder wall 7
For clinical presenantation consider
overactive bladder (OAB): may share similar clinical features 6
cystitis: any form of inflammation involving the bladder
- 1. Grover S, Srivastava A, Lee R, Tewari AK, Te AE. Role of inflammation in bladder function and interstitial cystitis. (2011) Therapeutic advances in urology. 3 (1): 19-33. doi:10.1177/1756287211398255 - Pubmed
- 2. Dasgupta J, Tincello DG. Interstitial cystitis/bladder pain syndrome: an update. (2009) Maturitas. 64 (4): 212-7. doi:10.1016/j.maturitas.2009.09.016 - Pubmed
- 3. Kelada E, Jones A. Interstitial cystitis. (2007) Archives of gynecology and obstetrics. 275 (4): 223-9. doi:10.1007/s00404-006-0247-7 - Pubmed
- 4. Berry SH, Elliott MN, Suttorp M, Bogart LM, Stoto MA, Eggers P, Nyberg L, Clemens JQ. Prevalence of symptoms of bladder pain syndrome/interstitial cystitis among adult females in the United States. (2011) The Journal of urology. 186 (2): 540-4. doi:10.1016/j.juro.2011.03.132 - Pubmed
- 5. Tyagi P, Moon C, Janicki J et al. Recent Advances in Imaging and Understanding Interstitial Cystitis. F1000Res. 2018;7:1771. doi:10.12688/f1000research.16096.1 - Pubmed
- 6. Ackerman A, Lai H, Parameshwar P, Eilber K, Anger J. Symptomatic Overlap in Overactive Bladder and Interstitial Cystitis/Bladder Pain Syndrome: Development of a New Algorithm. BJU Int. 2019;123(4):682-93. doi:10.1111/bju.14568 - Pubmed
- 7. Daniele P, Cesare R, Bright O et al. Role of Diffusion-Weighted Magnetic Resonance Imaging in the Diagnosis of Bladder Pain Syndrome/Interstitial Cystitis. Urology. 2020;141:55-9. doi:10.1016/j.urology.2020.03.019 - Pubmed