The intervertebral foramina allow passage of structures out of and into the vertebral canal. When multiple vertebrae are joined, the foramina for the spinal canal.
- anterior- lower posterolateral aspect of a vertebral body and the intervertebral disk below
- in the cervical region a portion of the vertebral body below, predominately the uncinate process, also contributes to the anterior boundary
- posterior- facet joint and associated fibrous joint capsule
- superior- inferior vertebral notch of the pedicle
- inferior- superior vertebral notch of the pedicle below