The intervertebral foramina allow passage of structures out of and into the vertebral canal.
- Anterior- lower posterolateral aspect of a vertebral body and the intervertebral disc below
- in the cervical region a portion of the vertebral body below, predominately the uncinate process, also contributes to the anterior boundary
- Posterior- facet joint and associated fibrous joint capsule
- Superior- inferior vertebral notch of the pedicle
- Inferior- superior vertebral notch of the pedicle below