Jaccoud arthropathy (JA) is a deforming non erosive arthropathy characterised by ulnar deviation of the second to 5th fingers with MCP subluxation.
It was traditionally described as occurring post rheumatic fever. It is also seen in association with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and other rheumatic and nonrheumatic conditions including psoriatic arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease and malignancy 5. Thought to be related to ligamentous laxity.
Typically affects the metacarpophalangeal (MCP) joints but can also affect the proximal interphalangeal (PIP) joints of the hands, wrists and knees 2.
- hand radiographs typically show marked ulnar subluxation and deviation at the MCP joints
- absence of erosions is a notable feature, although occasionally "hook" erosions may be observed, which are similar to those seen in Lupus (SLE) and ankylosing spondylitis (AS) 6
- evidence of muscle (soft tissue) atrophy also may be present
History and etymology
It is named after F S Jaccoud, French physician 3.
On imaging possible considerations include
- rheumatoid arthritis (RA): presence of erosions is a key distinction
- 1. Ostendorf B, Scherer A, Specker C et-al. Jaccoud's arthropathy in systemic lupus erythematosus: differentiation of deforming and erosive patterns by magnetic resonance imaging. Arthritis Rheum. 2003;48 (1): 157-65. doi:10.1002/art.10753 - Pubmed citation
- 2. Spina MF, Beretta L, Masciocchi M et-al. Clinical and radiological picture of Jaccoud arthropathy in the context of systemic sclerosis. Ann. Rheum. Dis. 2008;67 (5): 728-9. doi:10.1136/ard.2007.073999 - Pubmed citation
- 3. Jaccoud FS. Sur une forme de rhumatisme chronique. Leçons de clinique médicale faites è l’Hôpital de la Charité. Paris: Delahaye, 1869:598–616
- 4. Fernández A, Quintana G, Rondón F et-al. Lupus arthropathy: a case series of patients with rhupus. Clin. Rheumatol. 2006;25 (2): 164-7. doi:10.1007/s10067-005-1149-y - Pubmed citation
- 5. Palazzi C, D'amico E, De santis D et-al. Jaccoud's arthropathy of the hands as a complication of pyrophosphate arthropathy. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2001;40 (3): 354-5. doi:10.1093/rheumatology/40.3.354 - Pubmed citation
- 6. Pastershank SP, Resnick D. "Hook" erosions in Jaccoud's arthropathy. J Can Assoc Radiol. 1980;31 (3): 174-5. Pubmed citation
- seronegative spondyloarthritides
- Jaccoud arthropathy
- juvenile idiopathic arthritis
- lyme arthritis
- rheumatoid arthritis
- systemic lupus erythematosus
- erosive osteoarthritis
- osteoarthritis (mnemonic)
- primary cystic arthrosis of the hip
- rapidly destructive osteoarthritis of the hip
- secondary synovial osteochondromatosis
- miscellaneous disorders
- related articles