Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Maxime St-Amant had no recorded disclosures.View Maxime St-Amant's current disclosures
Killian-Jamieson diverticula are esophageal diverticula. Like the more common Zenker diverticulum, it is a false diverticulum and represents an outpouching of mucosa through a muscular defect (in this case the Killian-Jamieson space 2).
They are located just below the cricopharyngeus muscle, anteriorly and laterally, as left-sided, or less commonly bilateral, outpouching(s) from the cervical esophagus. High intraluminal pressure due to functional esophageal obstruction may be the cause for the herniation of mucosa through the potential site of weakness in the lateral esophageal wall 5.
A Killian-Jamieson diverticulum is infrequently encountered as compared with a Zenker diverticulum. They are usually smaller than a Zenker diverticulum (usually <1.5 cm) and are only occasionally symptomatic.
On pharyngoesophagography, it usually appears as a left-sided outpouching from the proximal cervical esophagus below the cricopharyngeus. Less frequently, the outpouchings may be bilateral (25%) 4.
It may be encountered on thyroid ultrasound. It changes its shape during ultrasound when the patient swallows. If it is uncertain on static ultrasound images, swallowing maneuvers can be performed with cine ultrasound 3.
- 1. O'Rourke AK, Weinberger PM, Postma GN. Killian-Jamieson diverticulum. Ear Nose Throat J. 2012;91 (5): 196. - Pubmed citation
- 2. Rubesin SE, Levine MS. Killian-Jamieson diverticula: radiographic findings in 16 patients. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2001;177 (1): 85-9. AJR Am J Roentgenol (citation) - Pubmed citation
- 3. Kim DC, Hwang JJ, Lee WS et-al. Surgical treatment of Killian-Jamieson diverticulum. Korean J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2012;45 (4): 272-4. doi:10.5090/kjtcs.2012.45.4.272 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 3. Schmitt W, Germano A. Killian-Jamieson diverticulum mimicking a suspicious thyroid lesion. (2018) Clinical case reports. 6 (12): 2509-2510. doi:10.1002/ccr3.1833 - Pubmed
- 4. Jeffrey Klein, Emily N. Vinson, Clyde A. Helms, William E. Brant. Brant and Helms' Fundamentals of Diagnostic Radiology. (2018) ISBN: 9781496367396
- 5. Bonacchi G, Seghieri M, Becciolini M. Killian-Jamieson diverticulum: real-time sonographic findings. (2016) Journal of ultrasound. 19 (4): 295-298. doi:10.1007/s40477-016-0208-3 - Pubmed