The lateral center-edge angle is a radiographic measurement of femoral head bony coverage by the acetabulum. It has since been shown superior to the extrusion index in measuring femoral head undercoverage.
It has primarily been described in assessing for acetabular dysplasia, but can also be used in femoroacetabular impingement.
This angle is calculated on AP pelvic radiographs by using drawing a best fit circle for the inferior and medial margins femoral head. The angle is then measured between two lines drawn from the center of the circle, one running vertically along the longitudinal axis of the pelvis and the other to the acetabular sourcil edge.
Values between 25° and 39° are considered within the normal range 1.
Increased lateral center-edge angle
- >39°: pincer type impingement
Reduced lateral center-edge angle
- <20°: acetabular dysplasia (i.e. developmental dysplasia of the hip)
- between 20° and 25°: borderline acetabular dysplasia
- cannot be measured in patients with abnormal femoral heads due to previous injury or avascular necrosis 5
History and etymology
It was originally described by Wiberg in 1939 ref.
- 1. Moritz Tannast, Klaus A. Siebenrock, Suzanne E. Anderson. Femoroacetabular Impingement: Radiographic Diagnosis—What the Radiologist Should Know. (2012) American Journal of Roentgenology. 188 (6): 1540-52. doi:10.2214/AJR.06.0921 - Pubmed
- 2. Shafagh Monazzam, James D. Bomar, Krishna Cidambi, Peter Kruk, Harish Hosalkar. Lateral Center-edge Angle on Conventional Radiography and Computed Tomography. (2013) Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®. 471 (7): 2233. doi:10.1007/s11999-012-2651-6 - Pubmed
- 3. Chiamil SM, Abarca CA. Imaging of the hip: a systematic approach to the young adult hip. (2016) Muscles, ligaments and tendons journal. 6 (3): 265-280. doi:10.11138/mltj/2016.6.3.265 - Pubmed
- 4. Moritz Tannast, Markus S. Hanke, Guoyan Zheng, Simon D. Steppacher, Klaus A. Siebenrock. What Are the Radiographic Reference Values for Acetabular Under- and Overcoverage?. (2015) Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®. 473 (4): 1234. doi:10.1007/s11999-014-4038-3 - Pubmed
- 5. Luis S. Beltran, Zehava S. Rosenberg, Jason D. Mayo, Maria Diaz De Tuesta, Olga Martin, Luis P. Neto, Jenny T. Bencardino. Imaging Evaluation of Developmental Hip Dysplasia in the Young Adult. (2013) American Journal of Roentgenology. 200 (5): 1077-88. doi:10.2214/AJR.12.9360 - Pubmed